Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between molecules and ions,

why can ions not be molecules?

ReputationRep:
    Molecules form when atoms covalently bond to one another. Ions are atoms that have gained or lost electrons and thus have a charge. You can have polyatomic ions, formed when molecules gain or lose electrons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daddy Dagoth)
    Molecules form when atoms covalently bond to one another. Ions are atoms that have gained or lost electrons and thus have a charge. You can have polyatomic ions, formed when molecules gain or lose electrons.
    Most polyatomic ions are not the result of molecules simply losing or gaining electrons in some chemical reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TutorsChemistry)
    Most polyatomic ions are not the result of molecules simply losing or gaining electrons in some chemical reaction.
    You're right, a better way to put it would simply be "a molecule with a charge".
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Ions are charged particles .. end of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daddy Dagoth)
    You're right, a better way to put it would simply be "a molecule with a charge".
    I see where you are coming from, and I'm not trying to argue.

I do think that statement is confusing too. For example, these molecules don't exist: NH4, H3O, CO3, PO4 etc.

A polyatomic ion is a group of bonded atoms with an overall charge on that group. It's an entity that can't be isolated like a molecule can be.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.