Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am going to apply to do a MA in Childhood and Youth starting in October and I was wondering whether there is anything I should consider when going from a 'proper' physical University to distance learning?
    Is there anything I should buy when I start the course?

Thanks
    MissBeatrice
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi Miss B!

The main advice I'd give is to spend some time familiarising yourself with the course website when you get access to it, so you can get to grips with all the resources there. Similarly, the library website is an important resource and you'll want to learn your way around it once you have your logon details. Also, it's a good idea to establish some level of contact with your tutor once they're allocated, just so you can build up a bit of a rapport with them - online study doesn't create quite so many opportunities for this, so creating them (without going ott) can be helpful.

I wouldn't say there's anything you especially need to buy - I quite often choose to buy books related to my course, but you can easily sort of see how you go and work out what's helpful and what's available online via the library.

Good luck with your studies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissBeatrice)
    Hi
    I am going to apply to do a MA in Childhood and Youth starting in October and I was wondering whether there is anything I should consider when going from a 'proper' physical University to distance learning?
    Is there anything I should buy when I start the course?

Thanks
    MissBeatrice
    Usually everything is provided including the books, if this isn't the case you'll be provided with a set texts to buy separately which is usually set out in the module description.

Other than that, make sure you've got a decent computer, ring binders per module and a wallplanner for mapping your TMA dates and tasks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    Hi Miss B!

The main advice I'd give is to spend some time familiarising yourself with the course website when you get access to it, so you can get to grips with all the resources there. Similarly, the library website is an important resource and you'll want to learn your way around it once you have your logon details. Also, it's a good idea to establish some level of contact with your tutor once they're allocated, just so you can build up a bit of a rapport with them - online study doesn't create quite so many opportunities for this, so creating them (without going ott) can be helpful.

I wouldn't say there's anything you especially need to buy - I quite often choose to buy books related to my course, but you can easily sort of see how you go and work out what's helpful and what's available online via the library.

Good luck with your studies!
    All good advice.

The Library runs literature and critical thinking courses. I would recommend doing these.
    Critiquing means to examine ideas, evaluate them and make decisions about their merit. This is what separates Masters level study from Undergrad and there is a huge emphasis on this skill. You can't critique simply with your opinion, but will spend significant amounts of time finding alternative viewpoints and data from respected researchers in the field (searching for suitable papers is a skill). Before you can begin putting pen to paper, you'll be spending a lot of time understanding your topic/subject from key papers.

Good luck

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.