Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In the wake of Floridas shooting.

Should everyone be called 'mentally ill' who commits mass murder just like non-Muslims are described or should we categorise Muslims into 'Extremists' 'Terrorists' 'Radicalised'. What's your view?

My view.

Every single person who thinks killing is right and justified is mentally ill- No one wakes up in the morning plotting to run over innocent people on the pavement, no Muslim wakes up wishing he was recruited in Isis. Islam strongly condone any type of killing. A person carrying out a attack, attempting to end multiple people's lives has a mental illness, because I can guarantee if a Muslim terrorist kills people he definelty is not sain and is mentally unstable. So surely Muslim 'terrorist' should also be called mentally ill.

Anyone can easily associate their name with a religion and carry out suicide killing. Instantly they're recognised as a Muslim and thus a extremist, but what about their history?

This 19 year old boy loved guns, ammunition. His Instagram page is full of his admire towards it. He was sane because he went to that school, but because he showed threatening behaviour he was rightly excluded. He made a YouTube comment last year saying he'd probably make a professional school shooter. This is a cold, meditated murder which he was fully aware of. He had no family, bad education I mean what's there to lose right then revenge a innocent school. Sounds pretty sane to me.

Not only that, but he was part of a white supremacy group. Is that extremist? Yes. Are they racist? Yes. He kills people= spreading terror, is he a terrorist? Yes. Finally. So can we categorise him and say -- He is a 'Extreme white supremacist' or 'White Supremacist Terrorist targets innocent school'? Erm no we can't because this category is only fit for Muslims. Oh right ok, so we'll just stick with depressed loner. Even though he was part of a white supremacist group!

Anyone, anyone can associate their name with a religion, anyone! But it does not mean Muslim/ Islam name should be held in shame, should not mean Muslims from the other side of the world receive bad treatment because of this. Everyone is happy with the title depressed mentally ill shooter- because this is what they are. They are mentally unstable but also it associates not ties with anything else, so there is no repercussions as a result but to associate Muslim terrorist to Islam is spreading hatred, every

Maybe people should not solely rely on the media providing a biased, manipulated story just so it suits their agenda. Muslim terrorist, Jewish terrorist, Christian terrorist are mentally ill and are simply mentally ill individuals who think this is ok and use an excuse of a religion to justify their actions. Their own free will to do so. Medias approach to this is dirty and humiliating, sadly it influences many people to think a certain religion/group or organisation is condoning this, as a result affecting people in that category globally.

Your views?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Media double standards exists, but not to the extent of which you are talking about.
    Islamist extremists usually are labelled mentally ill but not many people see it because it is covered up quite well by the media.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you 100%. We still live in a world where prejudice rules what we see and hear in the media, and its not going to be changing any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    mhm double standards.

if a muslim does it = extremist/isis/terrorist
    if a white man/woman does it = its okay, they're mentally ill.

and its funny because i've never heard of any hindu extremists or sikh terrorists in the media and we know for a fact that they do exist.

the media is evil, fr...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soIiIoquy)
    mhm double standards.

and its funny because i've never heard of any hindu extremists or sikh terrorists in the media and we know for a fact that they do exist.

the media is evil, fr...
    Shock, another person who doesn’t understand the meaning of terrorism in law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    Shock, another person who doesn’t understand the meaning of terrorism in law
    okay.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with the notion that everyone who sets out to kill is mentally ill.

One has to investigate the killers motives, for e.g. A bank robber will set out to steal, but may end up killing on his way to his objective. This person is most likely not mentally ill because to rob a bank successfully takes a lot of planning and intelligence.

However, in the case of the Florida shootings, the guy just rolled up and fired at a school killing people with no actual other objective, his only objective was to kill. So this killer in particular can quite easily seem mentally ill.

I don't believe all of ISIS are mentally ill, their objective is not to kill, but they end up killing because they believe what they are doing is right and justified, even though they are mislead.

ReputationRep:
    mhm double standards.

the media is evil, fr...
    Terrorism underlines political motives for said atrocities.

Muslims committing said atrocities are terrorists because they do it for political reasons - namely think the west is corrupted, far too liberal, rejects Islam and whatnot.

Individuals who pick up a gun and go murder innocent people may be horrible but are not terrorists if there isn't a political reason underlying their actions. If he had done it in pursuance of a political goal, namely to showcase that the second amendment must be repealed, or that the current administration is at fault for something, then he'd most likely be labeled a terrorist by the media.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Right, on DM right now they're all crying 'how is Trump to blame, its the kid - he did it due to mental illness' and I'm thinking why is it always mental illness/psychosis when its a non-muslim kid but had the shooter been muslim everyone would be like 'oh sure - its "mental illness" ' ughh **** off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReadySalted28)

Should everyone be called 'mentally ill' who commits mass murder just like non-Muslims are described or should we categorise Muslims into 'Extremists' 'Terrorists' 'Radicalised'. What's your view?
    It appears that way because many Muslims who commit mass murder are confirmed to have a religious motive, and that IS (Islamic State) and other terrorist groups like it claim responsibility for most of these Islamist terrorist attacks.

ReputationRep:
    anti-depressant medication does this .. they are the worst drugs.

ReputationRep:
    okay.
    You’re saying ‘okay’ in an effort to make yourself look like you’re taking some sort of high ground when in truth you just don’t know enough to have a reasoned opinion on the subject.

Terrorism almost always involves an attack that is designed to influence the government hence why those who claim affiliation to known terrorist groups are called terrorists and those who are mentally ill or just weird people who want to kill others are not called terrorists. That’s what separates Stephen Paddock from Mohamed Atta, one just wanted to kill people, the other wanted to kill people to advance a holy war and influence a government’s foreign policy.

But of course, after all of these incidents you and many others will blindly repeat ‘why are white people never called terrorists’ without understanding what terrorism is
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ReadySalted28)

My view.

Every single person who thinks killing is right and justified is mentally ill- No one wakes up in the morning plotting to run over innocent people on the pavement, no Muslim wakes up wishing he was recruited in Isis. Islam strongly condone any type of killing. A person carrying out a attack, attempting to end multiple people's lives has a mental illness, because I can guarantee if a Muslim terrorist kills people he definelty is not sain and is mentally unstable. So surely Muslim 'terrorist' should also be called mentally ill.

Anyone can easily associate their name with a religion and carry out suicide killing. Instantly they're recognised as a Muslim and thus a extremist, but what about their history?

This 19 year old boy loved guns, ammunition. His Instagram page is full of his admire towards it. He was sane because he went to that school, but because he showed threatening behaviour he was rightly excluded. He made a YouTube comment last year saying he'd probably make a professional school shooter. This is a cold, meditated murder which he was fully aware of. He had no family, bad education I mean what's there to lose right then revenge a innocent school. Sounds pretty sane to me.

Not only that, but he was part of a white supremacy group. Is that extremist? Yes. Are they racist? Yes. He kills people= spreading terror, is he a terrorist? Yes. Finally. So can we categorise him and say -- He is a 'Extreme white supremacist' or 'White Supremacist Terrorist targets innocent school'? Erm no we can't because this category is only fit for Muslims. Oh right ok, so we'll just stick with depressed loner. Even though he was part of a white supremacist group!

Anyone, anyone can associate their name with a religion, anyone! But it does not mean Muslim/ Islam name should be held in shame, should not mean Muslims from the other side of the world receive bad treatment because of this. Everyone is happy with the title depressed mentally ill shooter- because this is what they are. They are mentally unstable but also it associates not ties with anything else, so there is no repercussions as a result but to associate Muslim terrorist to Islam is spreading hatred, every

Maybe people should not solely rely on the media providing a biased, manipulated story just so it suits their agenda. Muslim terrorist, Jewish terrorist, Christian terrorist are mentally ill and are simply mentally ill individuals who think this is ok and use an excuse of a religion to justify their actions. Their own free will to do so. Medias approach to this is dirty and humiliating, sadly it influences many people to think a certain religion/group or organisation is condoning this, as a result affecting people in that category globally.

Your views?
    You are too busy being a victim and not paying attention to the definition if what a terrorist is. It undermines your whole OP which is wrong.

Oklahoma bombers they were white terrorists.

So far as we know the Florida shootings were about revenge on the school and kids who rejected and expelled him. He wasnt seeking to persuade the government on any political agenda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    You’re saying ‘okay’ in an effort to make yourself look like you’re taking some sort of high ground when in truth you just don’t know enough to have a reasoned opinion on the subject.

Terrorism almost always involves an attack that is designed to influence the government hence why those who claim affiliation to known terrorist groups are called terrorists and those who are mentally ill or just weird people who want to kill others are not called terrorists. That’s what separates Stephen Paddock from Mohamed Atta, one just wanted to kill people, the other wanted to kill people to advance a holy war and influence a government’s foreign policy.

But of course, after all of these incidents you and many others will blindly repeat ‘why are white people never called terrorists’ without understanding what terrorism is
    you don't know why I said "okay" so don't make assumptions lol

im not trying to be on any "ground."

ReputationRep:
    i just feel that the media will antagonise muslims and some other groups of people who commit crimes more than others. dont get me wrong, im not condoning the crimes but i feel like muslims get more coverage.

ReputationRep:
    you don't know why I said "okay" so don't make assumptions lol

im not trying to be on any "ground."
    On second thought I suppose it’s more likely that you said ‘okay’ because you knew you wouldn’t be able to have an actual debate

ReputationRep:
    If no political aim can be identified, then that person, by definition, cannot be a terrorist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighOnGoofballs)
    If no political aim can be identified, then that person, by definition, cannot be a terrorist.
    Correct, end of.👍😊

ReputationRep:
    The painting of a white shooter as a 'shooter' as opposed to a terrorist is indeed saddening. All people who commit such acts should be branded as terrorists and dealt with as such. Of course this shift won't happen from within the media, it is up to us to externally pressurise the government, public and the media to change the discourse around such incidents. Trump's rhetoric further aids this issue, which is what makes it harder to combat. As a media student myself I find it disgusting and appalling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reiji)
    anti-depressant medication does this .. they are the worst drugs.
    And *******s like this prevents thousands of people seeking help with their mental health issues. I have my problems with anti depressants but the idea that they will make you commit mass killings is baseless crap.

Also I fundamentally disagree with the idea that all people that kill are mentally ill. Anders Breivik is a great example of this, sure, his logic was warped and he did some awful things But at no point were his actions illogical or manic. He wanted to achieve a goal, saw a way to do It, then did so.

mhm double standards.

the media is evil, fr...
    Your analysis is simplistic. It is more that;

Muslim/other outcast group - systematic problem with an ideology or identity.
    White/ member of in group - individual action outside the norms of the society.

It is nothing else other than an attempt to control the narrative and hence maintain the status quo in which the media industry thrives.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.