Turn on thread page Beta

RAF Medical Check - advice and help about mental health watch

ReputationRep:
    I am considering applying to the RAF (hopefully as a Flight Ops Officer or Air Traffic Officer). I am very worried about my medical record check. I have been to the doctors a few times about feelings of anxiety and feeling low (I have never been diagnosed with any mental health condition however, never been on any meds, but I have been to a psychologist twice on the NHS and offered counselling, but declined). I was wondering if this would make me not able to join up, although I have never been diagnosed (because doctors don't take you serious lol).
    Also worth to mention, I told the doctor I had one period when I self harmed around 5 years ago, would that affect it too?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by schoolbeforeboys)
    I am considering applying to the RAF (hopefully as a Flight Ops Officer or Air Traffic Officer). I am very worried about my medical record check. I have been to the doctors a few times about feelings of anxiety and feeling low (I have never been diagnosed with any mental health condition however, never been on any meds, but I have been to a psychologist twice on the NHS and offered counselling, but declined). I was wondering if this would make me not able to join up, although I have never been diagnosed (because doctors don't take you serious lol).
    Also worth to mention, I told the doctor I had one period when I self harmed around 5 years ago, would that affect it too?
    If you want to get into the Armed Forces, don't invent health issues. Leave it to your medical records and let the experts decide on your diagnosis. Do not claim health issues that have not been formally diagnosed. If you have got diagnosed issues, then the experts will make judgements based on your medical records, don't you enhance them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    If you want to get into the Armed Forces, don't invent health issues. Leave it to your medical records and let the experts decide on your diagnosis. Do not claim health issues that have not been formally diagnosed. If you have got diagnosed issues, then the experts will make judgements based on your medical records, don't you enhance them.
    Your reply has come across as very hostile and in all honesty, I'm rather offended by it. I have not "invented" any health issues at all, I never claimed I had a diagnosis. I have simply been to the doctors about feeling extremely low, have told them about my past of self harm when asked about it. Just because I have not received a formal diagnosis, does not make my issues any less valid and real. For example, apply your logic to severe stomach cramps; you may not receive a diagnosis of IBS, and you're just very constipated. Does that make it any less valid? Of course not.
    I was simply worried because these feelings of being low and anxious and past of self harm ARE on my medical records as I have seen it, and I was curious as to whether this would affect my application. I specifically said in my OP that I had not received a diagnosis. Does not mean I don't have feelings of extreme low mood and anxiety.
    People like you are why people don't get help - because they are told they are "inventing it". Think about what you are saying.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Your reply has come across as very hostile and in all honesty, I'm rather offended by it. I have not "invented" any health issues at all, I never claimed I had a diagnosis. I have simply been to the doctors about feeling extremely low, have told them about my past of self harm when asked about it. Just because I have not received a formal diagnosis, does not make my issues any less valid and real. For example, apply your logic to severe stomach cramps; you may not receive a diagnosis of IBS, and you're just very constipated. Does that make it any less valid? Of course not.
    I was simply worried because these feelings of being low and anxious and past of self harm ARE on my medical records as I have seen it, and I was curious as to whether this would affect my application. I specifically said in my OP that I had not received a diagnosis. Does not mean I don't have feelings of extreme low mood and anxiety.
    People like you are why people don't get help - because they are told they are "inventing it". Think about what you are saying.
    Read what I wrote and don't put your own spin on things. I made no judgement on your personal situation.

If you want to get into the Armed Forces and you have a health condition that you are concerned may make you PMU then prepare to discuss and offer information only on what is on your medical record. Do not offer up any personal interpretation or language of your own.

If you have something that is on the list of exclusionary illnesses, then you can expect to be made PMU. If there is any room for doubt or debate, then the Service medics will make their decision, but don't enter into that debate except to answer direct questions. So if you say things like "I have feelings of extreme low mood and anxiety" then you are excluding yourself. If you want to get in, and you didn't get a 'diagnosis' from your Doctor, then just say something like, "I went to the Doctor because I was feeling miserable and not settling into school, but they made me realise it was just a passing moment". If you describe something in an exclusionary way, as you did in your first post, you are likely to exclude yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Read what I wrote and don't put your own spin on things. I made no judgement on your personal situation.

If you want to get into the Armed Forces and you have a health condition that you are concerned may make you PMU then prepare to discuss and offer information only on what is on your medical record. Do not offer up any personal interpretation or language of your own.

If you have something that is on the list of exclusionary illnesses, then you can expect to be made PMU. If there is any room for doubt or debate, then the Service medics will make their decision, but don't enter into that debate except to answer direct questions. So if you say things like "I have feelings of extreme low mood and anxiety" then you are excluding yourself. If you want to get in, and you didn't get a 'diagnosis' from your Doctor, then just say something like, "I went to the Doctor because I was feeling miserable and not settling into school, but they made me realise it was just a passing moment". If you describe something in an exclusionary was, as you did in your first post, you are likely to exclude yourself.

Yeah, it's super frustrating because I don't have a diagnosis of anything and I'm always getting ill and have been to the doctor about numerous things, I can't even have my blood pressure taken without freaking out and it sky-rocketing so I know I'll fail on that part alone!
    I know the RAF would make me a better person, it's just I have a feel I'll be PMU based on my medical records. It's a sad reality

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's super frustrating because I don't have a diagnosis of anything and I'm always getting ill and have been to the doctor about numerous things, I can't even have my blood pressure taken without freaking out and it sky-rocketing so I know I'll fail on that part alone!
    I know the RAF would make me a better person, it's just I have a feel I'll be PMU based on my medical records. It's a sad reality
    As per the already great feedback, get yourself going on the application and let the medical teams the RAF use to assess the situation. Keep both job options open as you may need a Plan B throughout your application process. Whether you’re TMU’d or PMU’d by Capita, the RAF medical cell will do everything possible to aid your case.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Please do let us know if you managed to apply as I am in a similar situation here?

ReputationRep:
    Please do let us know if you managed to apply and how you got on with the medical check as I am in a similar situation here?Mental Health is a growing issue for lots of young people, I imagine they review everyone case by case.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.