Turn on thread page Beta

Can i enjoy life trying to lose weight? watch

Announcements

I’m going on holiday, i go out a lot with friends and we have to eat. I hate being fat so much. And i really want a slim body but i really really really like sugary foods. I love eating ice cream, tea with sugar, crisps, chocolate, burgers. Eating nice food like that just makes the day so much better. Its not the same watching a movie or a tv show without biscuits. But I really want to lose weight. But im just so unhappy doing it because food makes me happier. Is there any way i can lose weight (idc if it takes me 1 year to lose 10 pounds) i just want to lose weight without giving up on this.

ReputationRep:
    Count your calories, stay within a caloric deficit. You can find online calorie calculators that will say how much you should be having if you want to gain/lose weight given your height and weight.

You can still have chocolate, crisps etc but in smaller amounts.

(Original post by Lemonsponge)
    Count your calories, stay within a caloric deficit. You can find online calorie calculators that will say how much you should be having if you want to gain/lose weight given your height and weight.

You can still have chocolate, crisps etc but in smaller amounts.
    Where can i measure my height and weight? I dont know what kg i weigh now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Where can i measure my height and weight? I dont know what kg i weigh now
    Go to a gym or Boots etc and get yourself weighed and (probably) measured there.

ReputationRep:
    Are you familiar with the concept of exercise?

(Original post by Profesh)
    Are you familiar with the concept of exercise?
    What’s the point of exercising if i’m going to be eating crap?

(Original post by Volibear)
    Go to a gym or Boots etc and get yourself weighed and (probably) measured there.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What’s the point of exercising if i’m going to be eating crap?
    Get MyFitnessPal and document everything you eat. Once you find out your weight and height, calculate your BMR and TDEE and go from there. You don't need to give up on nice food but you need to have self-control.

ReputationRep:
    I’m going on holiday, i go out a lot with friends and we have to eat. I hate being fat so much. And i really want a slim body but i really really really like sugary foods. I love eating ice cream, tea with sugar, crisps, chocolate, burgers. Eating nice food like that just makes the day so much better. Its not the same watching a movie or a tv show without biscuits. But I really want to lose weight. But im just so unhappy doing it because food makes me happier. Is there any way i can lose weight (idc if it takes me 1 year to lose 10 pounds) i just want to lose weight without giving up on this.
    Go to the gym, find a gym that has training sessions you enjoy. I recommend high intensity training, it's fun and good for you, keep at it. Also start eating healthier, make yourself eat it.

Remind yourself whenever you struggle of motivation of why you wanna do it in the 1st place. If you want it bad enough, you will keep to the diet and will be training. It's all a question of commitment and how much you want it. Nothing's impossible, remember that, and work hard to acheive your goal. Good luck.

(Original post by Owz5)
    Go to the gym, find a gym that has training sessions you enjoy. I recommend high intensity training, it's fun and good for you, keep at it. Also start eating healthier, make yourself eat it.

Remind yourself whenever you struggle of motivation of why you wanna do it in the 1st place. If you want it bad enough, you will keep to the diet and will be training. It's all a question of commitment and how much you want it. Nothing's impossible, remember that, and work hard to acheive your goal. Good luck.
    I don’t want to force myself to eat healthy.

(Original post by Volibear)
    Get MyFitnessPal and document everything you eat. Once you find out your weight and height, calculate your BMR and TDEE and go from there. You don't need to give up on nice food but you need to have self-control.
    So it will tell me how much calories i should be eating to lose weight? And if i do that, that will help me lose weight? What about exercise? How can i document that if it’s just dancing

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to give them up but you have to cut back, its sugar that is the main cause of weight gain.

as someone said - count calories. read the sides of packages, it will tell you how many calories are in each biscuit or chocolate bar and find out what your calorie intake should be to lose weight, its usually between 1500-1800 calories a day for women and keep the sweets within your calorie limit. basically if you want to eat more sweets you will have to eat less of anything else. ice cream, puddings and cakes are the worse offenders, for example if i ate a whole tub of chocolate haagen dazs thats like 1400 calories right there for the whole tub! and i used to be able to eat 2-3 tubs a day! and a slice of chocolate cake can be over 400 calories. biscuits are your safest bet, like one custard cream only has 60 calories and 1 chocolate digestive only has 83 calories.

also exercise more. but weight loss is usually to do with diet.

ReputationRep:
    Think about your health in the long run. All these sugary foods can lead to diabetes or heart problems.

But you can have nice food that is healthy, too. Fruits are very nice but also good for you. Grilled meat is also healthier than fried but if you find a good place, the food can also taste really good.

The point I'm making is unhealthy foods aren't the only things that taste nice.

ReputationRep:
    So it will tell me how much calories i should be eating to lose weight? And if i do that, that will help me lose weight? What about exercise? How can i document that if it’s just dancing
    They will tell you how many calories you burn per day when at rest, and how many calories you burn with your regular energy level. Then just adjuct it so you're consuming fewer calories than you burn.

You have to remember that it's not just a diet and short term thing, you need to change your mindset and lifestyle as the minute you start eating as you are now, or your weight loss slows down and you give up, you'll put the weight back on an maybe more.

ReputationRep:
    From reading your comments you seem to want to lose weight but without actually changing anything you do. Be honest...are you willing to put the effort in?

Agree on the point of calories in vs calories out, you need to eat at a deficit. Weight loss is largely diet and you can still have treats while losing weight.

Eat the same things, just less. Add more fruit and veg in your diet, fruit has loads of natural sugars and by eating more of those foods you won’t be so hungry for unhealthier food and you’ll naturally start to eat less unhealthy stuff.
    Also you really cannot go into this thinking you can eat all the same stuff and manage to lose weight somehow. No one’s ever found losing weight easy, it requires a complete lifestyle change and you need the willpower to do it.
    Just take everything 1 small step at a time, 1 less biscuit or packet of crisps each day. Small changes that add up
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey mate!

MyFitnessPal like someone mentioned is a great starting tool. Weigh yourself at boots or a friends house and put your height in. It’ll then give you a estimate of what you should be eating to lose weight. Then take a day and eat what you normally would and LOG everything. Then the next day try and stick to the limit, you’ll find that you’ll look for lower calorie options for everything. You like biscuits? Try weight watcher variety or digestive thins. Feel free to pm me if you want low calorie yummy ideas. I started in January and I’ve found that it’s not as hard as you initially think, I still had a kfc the other day but just made sure it was all within the calorie limit .

Most importantly, set a goal... aim to lose 4lb each month or something like that etc and remember the holiday you’re going on and how you want to feel more confident x

ReputationRep:
    Two words. Slimming world. I have sworn by it for years.

ReputationRep:
    If u have the will and passion then by all means restrain urself but ur not gonna enjoy it, mate

ReputationRep:
    I love food, it is amazing, wonderful sugar and what not. I dont blame you, the thing you need to understand is what you want. Currently what it seems you want is a slim body, you have the end goal, which is good, but it isnt enough. You cant get across a pond without having a bridge there, no matter how fast you try to run across the water. You have to build yourself a solid plan, dont go all in from the start and stop eating anything with 20% sugar or fat. Take it easy, you mentioned that watching something without eating isnt the same. How about you start there, when you watch something try to stop yourself from eating. Take it very slowly otherwise you wont get far, but this wont be enough, someone mentioned taking classes, i myself would recommend those bicycle classes at the gym, they are incredibly affective for losing a bit of fat. It will be a long road, but as long as you keep going, there is literally nothing that can stop you. Good luck to you

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.