Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried I'm not going to get my target grade [7] in GCSE maths. I understand it and I can do individual topics but in the December mocks , I got a grade 5 overall. We also did mocks in Year 10 and in October of Year 11 and I got a 6. My main problem is I cant do topics when in the paper if that makes any sense...does anyone know how to get over this problem because I really want a 7 in maths.

ReputationRep:
    try doing more past papers to see the topics in the exam format, chances are that in class you won’t learn them the exact way they’re presented in papers. keep practising and look at mark schemes (they tell you the method so you know exactly what you’re getting marks for) and you should be okay for the real things. maybe ask your teacher for extra help? any booster classes available?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliewastestime)
    try doing more past papers to see the topics in the exam format, chances are that in class you won’t learn them the exact way they’re presented in papers. keep practising and look at mark schemes (they tell you the method so you know exactly what you’re getting marks for) and you should be okay for the real things. maybe ask your teacher for extra help? any booster classes available?
    My teacher isnt the best. We have revision sessions after school but all they do is go over grade 5 stuff and I can pretty much do the vast majority of that. I dont think its worth my time. I revise using mathswatch but it doesnt always give you exam questions as they would be in the paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS02x)
    My teacher isnt the best. We have revision sessions after school but all they do is go over grade 5 stuff and I can pretty much do the vast majority of that. I dont think its worth my time. I revise using mathswatch but it doesnt always give you exam questions as they would be in the paper.
    go to AQA/Edexcel or whatever board you’re on and find papers, they don’t even have to be new spec. The only real way you’ll find Q’s as they would be in the exam is by actually looking at exam papers with the mark scheme. It’ll help I promise. Corbett maths are a good site if you haven’t checked there.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.