Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    the hall i lived in in my 2nd year at my uni was a 15 min walk from the centre of town and it meant I didn't get the 'feel' of the medieval uni town despite being near it. Girton is a 15 minute drive to the centre of Cambridge...
    You are taking this far off topic. The vast majority of students in Girton enjoy the college and their "Cambridge experience", as do those at any other college.

Let's not continue this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    You are taking this far off topic. The vast majority of students in Girton enjoy the college and their "Cambridge experience", as do those at any other college.

Let's not continue this.
    I know someone studying English Literature at Girton who actually chose to apply there, just to play “the statistics game”. He still really enjoys it. Besides, if the saying dont play the statistics game is true it really shouldnt matter whether you apply to a far out college or one in the heart of cambridge with the risk of being pooled should not make too much difference.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

Let's not continue this.
    It's perfectly on topic to discuss the pitfalls of less-popular colleges. Don't be so regimental.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Lemon1806)
    I know someone studying English Literature at Girton ... He still really enjoys it.
    ^this.
    It's perfectly on topic to discuss the pitfalls of less-popular colleges. Don't be so regimental.
    Except it's not a pitfall (as evidenced by the comment above, and many others), and the majority (75%) of Trinity applicants who received a History offer, got their offer from Trinity.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    the hall i lived in in my 2nd year at my uni was a 15 min walk from the centre of town and it meant I didn't get the 'feel' of the medieval uni town despite being near it. Girton is a 15 minute drive to the centre of Cambridge...
    Yeah but Girton has a heated indoor swimming pool...

ReputationRep:
    5 min drive and 15 min bike ride.
    Honestly, please do not ‘advise’ on something you don’t have any knowledge or experience on.
    Really not helpful.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemon1806)
    I know someone studying English Literature at Girton who actually chose to apply there, just to play “the statistics game”. He still really enjoys it. Besides, if the saying dont play the statistics game is true it really shouldnt matter whether you apply to a far out college or one in the heart of cambridge with the risk of being pooled should not make too much difference.
    Yes it’s really not a good idea to play statistic games as all the publicly available statistic data doesn’t tell you much about much more complicated picture behind the simple numbers you can see.
    Their selection system, includimg pooling, is set up so that it ensures they can admit most capable applicants no matter which college they originally applied to. They’re not stupid. They know what they’re doing.

Also, you should know people who were pooled to Girton from more ‘popular’ colleges are very happy there, too, some even say they’re glad they were pooled.

Really, choosing a college is the least important thing when you’re applying to Cambridge.
    Don’t spend too much and time and energy in it. Not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Is Imre still around, wow! Look, just be passionate about it. Like, you wanna go there because you can share in the vibe of the last four centuries of historic monumental shifts, from Newton to Rutherford, and of course Atiyah and his recent proof of Riemann. If you dunno how to share this love, forget it, They’re looking for sparkle, which means love of the subject.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Ccodirla)
    Is Imre still around, wow! Look, just be passionate about it. Like, you wanna go there because you can share in the vibe of the last four centuries of historic monumental shifts, from Newton to Rutherford, and of course Atiyah and his recent proof of Riemann. If you dunno how to share this love, forget it, They’re looking for sparkle, which means love of the subject.
    Actually OP was asking about History not Maths, and the thread is now quite old (perhaps appropriately) so I'm closing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.