Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What can you infer from Eric Birlings statement "why shouldn't they try for higher wages"?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Samahkerbib123)
    What can you infer from Eric Birlings statement "why shouldn't they try for higher wages"?
    1) Rhectorical Questions explores his changing capitalist attitude and projection from his fathers views on society, by challenging and questioning the views of the establishment. His contrasting nature signifies how the younger generation have a different perspective, and are not conformed by the views of the older generation. priestley is echoing his views blablabla.

Alternatively it could explore the naiievty of Eric, considering he is oblivious of the hardships faced by women factory workers, he's been hidden from the realitiy of society.

Another possible interpration could suggest his slight sympathetic nature without the inherent greed found within his own father.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can infer that there isn't a reason that they can't try to change their situation by asking for higher wages. I think that if you were working class, it was harder to get more money to live on; especially as the upper class wasn't willing to give their workers better pay; which is another example of how capitalist England was back then.

Hope I helped you
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I got grade 9 in English literature, however I haven't studied the book since GCSEs, feels long ago. Although is is worth mentioning some other links to his previous quotations as well. Perhaps the comparative "higher". Comment on Priestleys intentions and link to Sheila and current relatonship with Arthur.

ReputationRep:
    Does he say that regarding low class workers? I did this 2 years ago so I don’t quite remember.

But if he does say this, you can infer that he is very misinformed about the lives of lower class people and is unaware that people like his dad are responsible for the poor working conditions for them. Or you can infer that his family has kept him away from the business because he clearly doesn’t understand his fathers ways of doing things in business as he offered lower wages to his workers I think right (don’t quite remember the book in detail)

Or you can say that Priestley is portraying that the younger generation were more socially empathic to lower class people than the older generations, eg his parents.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.