Turn on thread page Beta

100 pound calculator for further maths and maths (2008 spec)- worth it? alternatives? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, as the title says I am considering the following 100 pound calculator for my edecxel (2008 spec) exams in further maths and maths.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-CG...70_&dpSrc=srch

For my A-levels I need to get A*A* in further maths and maths and so anything that may improve my exam performance I am strongly considering. The calculator is very expensive though.
    So, can you recommend alternative graphical calculators usable in an edexcel maths/further maths exam, which are cheaper ( I don't really care for colour display,3D-plotting,...)?

ReputationRep:
    you don't need a graphical calculator to get an A* though so save your money. (everyone in my school used scientific calculators which are £10 and some managed to get A*s for edexcel 2008 spec)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by bluenotewitt)
    Hi, as the title says I am considering the following 100 pound calculator for my edecxel (2008 spec) exams in further maths and maths.

For my A-levels I need to get A*A* in further maths and maths and so anything that may improve my exam performance I am strongly considering. The calculator is very expensive though.
    So, can you recommend alternative graphical calculators usable in an edexcel maths/further maths exam, which are cheaper ( I don't really care for colour display,3D-plotting,...)?
    I'd imagine a calculator at that price range can perform symbolic/algebraic calculus. Calculators that have this function are banned, so whatever you buy, make sure it meets that rule.

As bigcook said, you're better off saving your money.

Spoiler:
    Show

Candidates may use any calculator allowed by the regulations of the Joint Council for Qualifications. Calculators must not have the facility for symbolic algebra manipulation or symbolic differentiation/integration, or have retrievable mathematical formulae stored in them.

ReputationRep:

loooool you really want a 100 pound calculator for A-levels???? **** man I passed my Bachelors and MSc in aeronautical engineering with a 10 pound casio hahahahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigcook)
    you don't need a graphical calculator to get an A* though so save your money. (everyone in my school used scientific calculators which are £10 and some managed to get A*s for edexcel 2008 spec)
    Really? I have been looking into other threads on this topic on tsr and I found the opinions on this to be quite varied. Even if there is only a smal chance the calculator may make exams easier for me I would certainly consider them (money aside)!

ReputationRep:
    Casio fx-991es, is the one I used. You really don't need much more

ReputationRep:

I have that calculator. The 3D plotting is only really useful for FP3. The matrices and graphing functions are very useful, and the screen is pretty good for a calculator. But honestly, I mostly use it to play Pokemon.

ReputationRep:
    numbers is numbers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nagromicous)
    I have that calculator. The 3D plotting is only really useful for FP3. The matrices and graphing functions are very useful, and the screen is pretty good for a calculator. But honestly, I mostly use it to play Pokemon.
    Are you referring to the 2008 spec FP3? Is the calculator quite bulky/obvious?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I'd imagine a calculator at that price range can perform symbolic/algebraic calculus. Calculators that have this function are banned, so whatever you buy, make sure it meets that rule.
    This particular calculator is fine for A Level but I've never seen the need to spend that much on a graphics calculator for A Level.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Notnek)
    This particular calculator is fine for A Level but I've never seen the need to spend that much on a graphics calculator for A Level.
    Whoops I didn't click on the link :facepalm2::facepalm::facepalm2:

I don't know anyone w/ a calculator THAT expensive for A-Levels either.

ReputationRep:
    Are you referring to the 2008 spec FP3? Is the calculator quite bulky/obvious?
    No, I'm referring to 2004 MEI FP3. It's fairly bulky, but I don't really see why that would be an issue. I took a picture for comparison: http://puu.sh/zpht9/4fb7ab55e6.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzor)
    loooool you really want a 100 pound calculator for A-levels???? **** man I passed my Bachelors and MSc in aeronautical engineering with a 10 pound casio hahahahah
    Why should I not consider something that may help me in my exams and help me get into my university, just for the sake of my pride? If it can help me, I will consider it. No matter how that makes me look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nagromicous)
    No, I'm referring to 2004 MEI FP3. It's fairly bulky, but I don't really see why that would be an issue. I took a picture for comparison: http://puu.sh/zpht9/4fb7ab55e6.jpg
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    I suppose this one is the standard ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CASIO-FX-99...70_&dpSrc=srch

I also found this one ( which i believe also doesn't have CAS)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Texas-Instr...cal+calculator

Is this one worth it in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks !
    Honestly, I would recommend it if you don't already have a graphical calculator and it's within your budget. When I first got a graphical calculator it exceeded my expectations by far.

ReputationRep:
    Why should I not consider something that may help me in my exams and help me get into my university, just for the sake of my pride? If it can help me, I will consider it. No matter how that makes me look.
    I am not saying you shouldn't buy it, just that it's not worth it. Better save money and learn properly how to do the stuff. Idk man, if you think it will be of help just buy...

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got 100 UMS in all his modules with the standard grey cheap casio calculator.

I know someone else who was on track for Oxbridge in every way and then messed up his maths A level with the best calculator combination possible. Most people who use graphics calculators tend to try to compensate for one of their weaknesses with it, which isn't the best idea when a real tough question comes in and shakes you to your core knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crimniam)
    numbers is numbers
    Thanks, I will take that I will take that advise along with me

ReputationRep:

this cost less than a tenner second hand.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2018

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.