Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should there be a degree classification above First (80-90%)? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm on an informatics degree and I'm averaging 90%I work (since I have a mortgage), live in a different town to where I study and have to travel and am unable to do a lot of my work from home as it requires hardware I simply can't afford to own.To me, seeing the amount of people around campus who don't have a job, don't have to travel to and from uni every day and have so much free time but are still willing to let their grades slide because they only need 70% to get a firsts is aggravating.Personally, I think there should be some recognition once you leave university for putting in the time and effort required to get higher marks. Someone who gets 20% more than someone getting a 2:2 gets a first, but someone who gets 20% more than someone doing a first gets... a first. Fair enough, 80% and 90% may be less common grades, I'm not saying 70% shouldn't be a firsts, but what about a suffix or prefix or something?

ReputationRep:
    Nobody cares. Certainly not employers, who are more interested in other skills beyond a certain point in academics.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JKybett)
    I'm on an informatics degree and I'm averaging 90%I work (since I have a mortgage), live in a different town to where I study and have to travel and am unable to do a lot of my work from home as it requires hardware I simply can't afford to own.To me, seeing the amount of people around campus who don't have a job, don't have to travel to and from uni every day and have so much free time but are still willing to let their grades slide because they only need 70% to get a firsts is aggravating.Personally, I think there should be some recognition once you leave university for putting in the time and effort required to get higher marks. Someone who gets 20% more than someone getting a 2:2 gets a first, but someone who gets 20% more than someone doing a first gets... a first. Fair enough, 80% and 90% may be less common grades, I'm not saying 70% shouldn't be a firsts, but what about a suffix or prefix or something?
    80% and 90% should have a suffix or prefix for sure. Would be a good way to differentiate between the very best of employees.

ReputationRep:
    Employers don’t really care beyond a threshold, so go out and do something else, even if you do drop 10%. Besides, you can always put the percentage on your CV if you really wanted too.

ReputationRep:
    First with Distinction (also called starred first) is the higher classification at some universities.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you average 80%, enough for a First, and do something else with your time. Relax a bit. Life does not mean only work. Change your point of view!

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy yourself instead of wasting time getting an extra unnecessary 10%.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amihalo)
    First with Distinction (also called starred first) is the higher classification at some universities.
    My gander got that from Trinity Collage Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly its great to be an academic superstar but I think you should focus your efforts on work experience. E.g. since you're an informatician think about starting a mobile app consultancy. Lots of money there, every one and their dog wants their own app. Especially restaurants.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you have relevant skills and experience on your CV that will actually make you stand out as useful to employers. Stop worrying about others and worry about yourself, it's the only thing you can actually change.

ReputationRep:
    This thread needs to go in some kind of TSR Hall of Fame. I love it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.