Turn on thread page Beta

I’m a very active person but I can’t seem to lose weight due to my diet, any websites that anyone knows that can create me a diet. I know what to cut out but if there was a diet I’d be more motivated to stick to it.

ReputationRep:
    It’s not about what you eat when it comes to weight loss, it’s how much. You need to be at a calorie deficit that is literally all. Find out your Tdee and eat less than that and you will lose weight (would be physically impossible not to).

Obviously health requires a healthy balanced diet, but as far as weight loss is concerned it never needs to get more complicated than the above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    It’s not about what you eat when it comes to weight loss, it’s how much. You need to be at a calorie deficit that is literally all. Find out your Tdee and eat less than that and you will lose weight (would be physically impossible not to).

Obviously health requires a healthy balanced diet, but as far as weight loss is concerned it never needs to get more complicated than the above.
    I was just about to say the opposite; it doesnt matter how much you eat, it matters what you eat. Health-wise, at least.

If you somehow manage to gain weight in body fat whilst eating fruit, veg, meat and nothing else then I think you deserve an award!

Yes, people can lose weight whilst living in McDonald’s meals. They might look healthy, but they’ll probably also catch every cold available and develop every type of cancer/get heart disease/heart attacks etc as they age.

It’s up to you OP whether you want to improve your overall health, or just lose weight. I wouldn’t cut out unhealthy stuff entirely or you’ll be more inclined to binge.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I’m a very active person but I can’t seem to lose weight due to my diet, any websites that anyone knows that can create me a diet. I know what to cut out but if there was a diet I’d be more motivated to stick to it.
    I would actually suggest finding a book as you’ll be less inclined to click on links to other and possibly less healthy recipes. Also see my reply to SophieSmall.

Would be interesting to hear your take on both of our comments as we’ve said such different things! I hope things work out, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    I was just about to say the opposite; it doesnt matter how much you eat, it matters what you eat. Health-wise, at least.

If you somehow manage to gain weight in body fat whilst eating fruit, veg, meat and nothing else then I think you deserve an award!

Yes, people can lose weight whilst living in McDonald’s meals. They might look healthy, but they’ll probably also catch every cold available and develop every type of cancer/get heart disease/heart attacks etc as they age.

It’s up to you OP whether you want to improve your overall health, or just lose weight. I wouldn’t cut out unhealthy stuff entirely or you’ll be more inclined to binge.

It’s very easy to gain weight eating a healthy healthy balanced diet, if your portions are too big. Especially for smaller people who require les calories as it is. I cook all my food from scratch and very rarely eat things like McDonald’s, chocolate, fast food etc. I can still easily gain weight if I don’t watch my portion sizes/calories.

Agree on the health and that diet should be balanced and no need to cut things out completely , but in terms of physics it really is as simple as calories.

ReputationRep:
    It’s very easy to gain weight eating a healthy healthy balanced diet, if your portions are too big. Especially for smaller people who require les calories as it is. I cook all my food from scratch and very rarely eat things like McDonald’s, chocolate, fast food etc. I can still easily gain weight if I don’t watch my portion sizes/calories.

Agree on the health and that diet should be balanced and no need to cut things out completely , but in terms of physics it really is as simple as calories.
    I’m the same and I’m struggling to gain weight even though I’m trying.. my flatmate thinks I eat like a horse but I can’t keep anything 😂

Sounds like we need to swap metabolisms for a while haha

ReputationRep:
    I’m the same and I’m struggling to gain weight even though I’m trying.. my flatmate thinks I eat like a horse but I can’t keep anything 😂

Sounds like we need to swap metabolisms for a while haha
    Lol the metabolism thing the way people describe it is a complete myth.

Try to fit some high calorie snacks into your diet frequently, such as nuts.

ReputationRep:
    Lol the metabolism thing the way people describe it is a complete myth.

Try to fit some high calorie snacks into your diet frequently, such as nuts.
    You’re not a scientist, are you.

I honestly wish I liked nuts! I do plenty of baking though, and recently made an effort to count calories for a few weeks and I’m eating around 2200 per day with little exercise, I’m 5’6” and can’t seem to get above 9 stone when I was easily 10 and a half about two years ago. I don’t know what else could have changed 😕

I honestly wish I liked nuts! I do plenty of baking though, and recently made an effort to count calories for a few weeks and I’m eating around 2200 per day with little exercise, I’m 5’6” and can’t seem to get above 9 stone when I was easily 10 and a half about two years ago. I don’t know what else could have changed 😕
    I eat 1800 maybe even less everyday, go gym 4 times a week and football once as week and I can’t seem to lose weight

ReputationRep:

Graduate in biomed and doing postgrad in public health.

Shame you don't like nuts, great source of calories.

If you are genuinely (and consistently) eating more than your TDEE and not gaining then you should see a doctor, as something else could be going on. But generally people over or underestimate their calorie consumption. Those looking to lose weight often don't factor in snacks, oils etc when counting. Whereas those looking to gain often only take into account days where they do eat a lot, and discredit the days they undereat. Not saying that specifically is you, but I see it all the time. People just don't defy physics.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like me! I try to eat healthily to make sure I'm not deficient in nutrients but I eat a **** ton of sweets, cakes, doughnuts, pastries etc. I was also heavier a couple of years ago (about 9 stone) but when I started uni I dropped to 7 and a half and haven't been over 7 stone 10 since which is pretty low for a 5 ft 6 person. I guess I walk a lot more and am on the swim team and things like having to carry my shopping a mile home rather than putting it in a car means my metabolism is a lot higher.

It has it's perks though, I like being able to put away a bacon sandwich, pancakes and 2 slices of toast loaded with jam just for breakfast!

Also to the OP, you simply need to eat fewer calories and move more. Technically you can lose weight eating junk. However as there a lot more calories in 100g of chocolate than 100g of courgette, for example, its easier to stick to a diet high in vegetables and lean meats as you can eat greater volumes without as many calories. Aim to eat 1400-1500 calories if you are female and exercise 3 or 4 times a week. Walk where you can, take the stairs etc just anything to make you move more. Also drink a lot of water as many people mistake thirst for hunger.

My biggest advice is not to think of it as a 'diet' because when you say diet you think of a temporary regime that will be over with in a certain amount of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)
    You sound like me! I try to eat healthily to make sure I'm not deficient in nutrients but I eat a **** ton of sweets, cakes, doughnuts, pastries etc. I was also heavier a couple of years ago (about 9 stone) but when I started uni I dropped to 7 and a half and haven't been over 7 stone 10 since which is pretty low for a 5 ft 6 person. I guess I walk a lot more and am on the swim team and things like having to carry my shopping a mile home rather than putting it in a car means my metabolism is a lot higher.

It has it's perks though, I like being able to put away a bacon sandwich, pancakes and 2 slices of toast loaded with jam just for breakfast!

Also to the OP, you simply need to eat fewer calories and move more. Technically you can lose weight eating junk. However as there a lot more calories in 100g of chocolate than 100g of courgette, for example, its easier to stick to a diet high in vegetables and lean meats as you can eat greater volumes without as many calories. Aim to eat 1400-1500 calories if you are female and exercise 3 or 4 times a week. Walk where you can, take the stairs etc just anything to make you move more. Also drink a lot of water as many people mistake thirst for hunger.

My biggest advice is not to think of it as a 'diet' because when you say diet you think of a temporary regime that will be over with in a certain amount of weeks.
    I like your last point in particular; diets are short term, dietary adjustments are long-term.

OP, don’t be my boyfriend who changes his diet for a month to lose weight, then skips back and immediately puts it on again! Certainly not healthy and he doesn’t do any exercise which makes it worse.. but I can’t tell him off because I’m inactive too! However I have recently started swimming with my flatmate so I’m having to eat even more to try not to shrink and it’s quite challenging and expensive to stop myself losing weight! Be grateful for shrinking your shopping bills as healthier food and homecooked meals tend to be much cheaper as well as healthier. Also more satisfying when you’ve cooked it yourself I find 😊

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.