Turn on thread page Beta

would it be morally right or wrong to create a world within your PC? watch

ReputationRep:
    okay this is a bit of a weird question but I actually found it coming up in conversation with someone today and found we were radically opposed to each other in terms of moral view points.

Basically I truly believe that we live in an artificial computer simulation that our reality is a simulation. This is called simulation hypothesis. Plenty of decent videos regarding this on youtube that explain the idea.

anyway i got into a discussion with someone who questioned whether an advanced civilization really would create such a simulation because it is apparently very immoral. the simulated beings in it would effectively he argues be slaves been exploited by the creator and subject to his/her every whim.

I argued that effectively your giving the gift of life itself and if I could create a simulation of a universe that could give rise to conscious life I would consider it a very good moral thing to do. your creating all that life and giving all that experience to conscious beings.

what do you guys think do you think this would be a morally good thing or bad thing to do?

ReputationRep:
    it should also be mentioned you are creating a universe not designing the worlds down to minute detail the civilizations within the universe will still suffer pain disease and all the natural downsides to evolution as well as happy things it will be a universe and a world very much like our own.

ReputationRep:
    The issue is that are we actually free to make choices? All our options are given to us by our surrounding environment. All our responses are processed by our given brain and how it has developed with the environmental stimulus it received. We make the decision we decide to be optimal, applying discounting (short termism), processing mistakes and other behavioural aspects of decision making as well as (neoclassical economics) a cost/benefit/risk analysis. All of these could be argued to be given to us inherently or through the environment we encounter and develop from.

Whoever sets the terms, gets to choose what happens. Any creator of anything would do this. Even if we become self aware of the issue, we can do nothing to stop it as it was all set out in the cards.

However I would wonder why any hyper advanced civilisation would necessarily care. Humanity has given multiple examples of people willing to make others suffer for our own profit, and many people still are in support of chemical trials on life-sentence inmates FOR SCIENCE!!. In a computer simulation, are we not all life-sentence inmates, never free to explore outside our small little universe?

ReputationRep:
    Woo black mirror
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have always thought the term 'the gift of life' a bit strange. Usually a gift is something that someone knows you will appreciate or is otherwise something you could decline. In these circumstances neither principle is easily applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussain Alam)
    The issue is that are we actually free to make choices? All our options are given to us by our surrounding environment. All our responses are processed by our given brain and how it has developed with the environmental stimulus it received. We make the decision we decide to be optimal, applying discounting (short termism), processing mistakes and other behavioural aspects of decision making as well as (neoclassical economics) a cost/benefit/risk analysis. All of these could be argued to be given to us inherently or through the environment we encounter and develop from.

Whoever sets the terms, gets to choose what happens. Any creator of anything would do this. Even if we become self aware of the issue, we can do nothing to stop it as it was all set out in the cards.

However I would wonder why any hyper advanced civilisation would necessarily care. Humanity has given multiple examples of people willing to make others suffer for our own profit, and many people still are in support of chemical trials on life-sentence inmates FOR SCIENCE!!. In a computer simulation, are we not all life-sentence inmates, never free to explore outside our small little universe?
    Well no I assume any creator of such a simulation would make the laws of the universe in terms of scientific laws and set it off to run its own process. I do not assume they would plan out every event that would happen with human kind or any civilisation within the simulation. They would probably not even be aware of our existence.

If we are in a simulation we are simulated beings we can call this a prison but that's just the label you choose to give it.

no creator has planned out our destiny that's for us to choose. As would be in any simulation we create. Surely you would rather our civilisation existed rather then not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    ...no creator has planned out our destiny that's for us to choose..
    Not that I believe in such things but If there was a creator then I don't see how you could rule out their initiation of a 'planned out' scenario (just because we feel like we are making 'choices' doesn't mean that we actually are).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I think it depends on the level of consciousness and free-will they have within the simulation. Assuming they're as aware as we are, and have no level of free-will, then I think that would be immoral, personally. With free-will, or with a lack of actual 'being', I could see arguments for those scenarios being moral, or at least being relatively neutral in moral terms.

ReputationRep:
    the debate on the morality of this is similar to an antinatalist one- if you subscribe to the idea that life is suffering (and assume that this is also true in this universe, and it probably would be), the creation of a universe is deeply immoral due to the amount of suffering you're causing. I basically agree with this view.

ReputationRep:
    okay this is a bit of a weird question but I actually found it coming up in conversation with someone today and found we were radically opposed to each other in terms of moral view points.

Basically I truly believe that we live in an artificial computer simulation that our reality is a simulation. This is called simulation hypothesis. Plenty of decent videos regarding this on youtube that explain the idea.

anyway i got into a discussion with someone who questioned whether an advanced civilization really would create such a simulation because it is apparently very immoral. the simulated beings in it would effectively he argues be slaves been exploited by the creator and subject to his/her every whim.

I argued that effectively your giving the gift of life itself and if I could create a simulation of a universe that could give rise to conscious life I would consider it a very good moral thing to do. your creating all that life and giving all that experience to conscious beings.

what do you guys think do you think this would be a morally good thing or bad thing to do?
    Ultimately you would be creating suffering that isn't necessary and that's wrong, but you could say the same about having children. I wouldn't say that anyone who has a child is a bad person, even though the child will undoubtedly suffer at some point in his life. So maybe the answer is more ambiguous

ReputationRep:

Reminds me of that black mirror episode - yikes.

I'd advise against it at all times

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.