Turn on thread page Beta

How to eradicate feelings for a woman who clearly doesn't like me back in that way? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello reader, hope all is well, I just had some Malibu rum with coke there and oh boy was it great. Malibu is a great drink (when consumed responsibility of course) and it can go with a lot of things.

Anyway where was I, oh yes I remember, I have feelings for a woman who I am 100% sure only likes me as a friend (which I have no problem with just to be clear, I highly value her friendship and company) and so I have decided that the best course of action is to eradicate my feelings for said woman in question.

I am not sure how to go about this though (don't think cutting her out of my life is possible) so I have decided to ask strangers on the World Wide Web for tips and tricks on how to get rid of my feelings for her. All answers appreciated!

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    How are you 100% sure? And oh god, trying to get over someone is awful! I hate it. What I recommend is to just get it off your chest even if you’re sure she doesn’t like you. I mean, it could make things pretty awkward for a while and I don’t even think I should be giving you this advice because it may or may not be a bad idea. BUT ANYWAY, after you tell her you can begin to try to get over her by letting yourself feel whatever you’re feeling for a few days and I mean...hopefully it’ll go away. Think about all the things you don’t like about her. And if you’re still not over her within a few months, JUST FIND ANOTHER GIRL. But I mean, this is probably bad advice but it’s sort of worked for me. All the people I used to like I don’t like anymore, so...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

isn't easy and takes time. best way is to meet new girls to take your mind off her. and you won't fully move on until you start actually dating again. also look for reasons why you two wouldn't work together and focus on her flaws.
    finally, if you can, mute her on everything or at least appear offline, hide her from your feed etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jupi6ter)
    How are you 100% sure? And oh god, trying to get over someone is awful! I hate it. What I recommend is to just get it off your chest even if you’re sure she doesn’t like you. I mean, it could make things pretty awkward for a while and I don’t even think I should be giving you this advice because it may or may not be a bad idea. BUT ANYWAY, after you tell her you can begin to try to get over her by letting yourself feel whatever you’re feeling for a few days and I mean...hopefully it’ll go away. Think about all the things you don’t like about her. And if you’re still not over her within a few months, JUST FIND ANOTHER GIRL. But I mean, this is probably bad advice but it’s sort of worked for me. All the people I used to like I don’t like anymore, so...
    Seriously appreciate the advice thank you! I'm 100% sure because of a) past experiences and b) she has more of an 'interest' in way more other guys than me lol!

Ask her out, see how it goes. If she says no, at least you have closure.

ReputationRep:
    You just need to focus instead on finding another girl to drink Malibu and coke together with. You're right, time and angst on someone who is not up for it is a waste.

ReputationRep:
    I would start deleting her off my phone and social media first.

Then distance myself from her in real life too.

All the struggles in between, you can come back and return with your rantings about how you cant stop thinking about her... we are all here to listen and impart our wisdom...

ReputationRep:
    Some tips:

1. No matter how much you like someone, nobody is perfect. So take those rose tinted glasses off and start looking for and focusing on her flaws. If she's to return to being an ordinary person in your life, then you need to view her as a much more ordinary person.

2. Spend a lot less time with her while you are getting over the initial intense phase of your feelings. Be busy- catch up with and focus on forging closer bonds with other friends (and being open to meeting new people in general). Hanging around her right now is will be no better for you than gauping through a patisserie window when you're on a diet!

3. Start looking at other single girls as potential prospective partners. All this time you have been preoccupied with this girl, you don't know how many other opportunities with other girls you have been overlooking. Don't potentially let "The One" pass you by unnoticed because you were too busy barking up the wrong tree!

4. Don't allow yourself to become idle for long periods of time; at this point idle time makes for time when your thoughts will wander back to her. So preoccupy yourself with goals that are reachable- take up sport, a new hobby, focus on your education, redecorate your space, update your image, be a better person etc. Don't just sit there moping away mourning the loss of a romance that never was!
    Instead see this time is a good opportunity to empower yourself and move your life forward in a new positive direction.

In life you never know what is next around the corner. But if you're proactive in life (being productive and future-focused), you can make good things happen (and be in a much better position to not only grab life's opportunities, but cope better with anything that life throws at you 💪). I
    If you not to become overly focused on the past and what never was, then it's important to maintain a positive attitude (believing things like how there will be other great girls who will come into your life and that you are a great catch etc) ✌.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.