What is your view on Euthanasia? are you Pro or Against?

Watch
Ilyidk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Please support your answer. Explain why.
PlayWithMarkers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's a messy area. In a lot of patients who would be eligible for legal euthanasia should it be implemented, their mental state will have deteriorated to the point where you have to ask if they're capable of making that decision in that first place. It's not like you can have an official guideline of "Quality of Life" to judge people by because something like that is inherently subjective.

I'm still for, but I understand why there's pushback, it's messy. I think you'd need a varied panel of medical professionals to evaluate each individual case, unsure how they handle it in countries where it is legal.
bob90534
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I like to think of both sides of an arguement
Pro:
People should have the right to choose whether they live or die- freedom of will.

In the case of terminally ill patients and people with debilitating chronic conditions- the right thing to do would be to offer euthanasia to end their suffering, provided of course that there is no cure or treatment for what they are suffering in particular, as really sometimes they have nothing to live for.

Cons:
Where do you draw the line for sufficient reason as to perform euthanasia?

In the state of Oregon one of the top reasons for wanting euthanasia was deppression, sadness and not pain. For such people counselling should be offered instead of ending their lives prematurely.

The religious arguement

The potential for immoral and unjust unnecessary deaths occurring due to abuses of the system by doctors for example. This is/was the case in the Netherlands where euthanasia has been legalised.

Conc.
Euthanasia should be offered but with a clear system and guidelines in place to prevent unneccessary death with counselling offered for people who want to end their lives- as its not like they can take back their decision
Ilyidk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by alexander7931)
I like to think of both sides of an arguement
Pro:
People should have the right to choose whether they live or die- freedom of will.

In the case of terminally ill patients and people with debilitating chronic conditions- the right thing to do would be to offer euthanasia to end their suffering, provided of course that there is no cure or treatment for what they are suffering in particular, as really sometimes they have nothing to live for.

Cons:
Where do you draw the line for sufficient reason as to perform euthanasia?

In the state of Oregon one of the top reasons for wanting euthanasia was deppression, sadness and not pain. For such people counselling should be offered instead of ending their lives prematurely.

The religious arguement

The potential for immoral and unjust unnecessary deaths occurring due to abuses of the system by doctors for example. This is/was the case in the Netherlands where euthanasia has been legalised.

Conc.
Euthanasia should be offered but with a clear system and guidelines in place to prevent unneccessary death with counselling offered for people who want to end their lives- as its not like they can take back their decision
Thank youu
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Against, doctors are there to save lives not end them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (3)
100%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (0)
0%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (0)
0%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (0)
0%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads