Turn on thread page Beta

Would I be eligible for maintenance loans as an EU student if...? watch

ReputationRep:
    I first moved to the UK in 2005 and I've lived in the UK over half my life did my GCSE's here too, at 16 I had to temporarily move to china because of my mothers job but she still kept the house she owned here in the UK because obviously as soon as I finish my high school at 18 I'll be kicked out of China due to their laws not allowing me residence visa otherwise. Unfortunately she didn't get a "temporary" contract to which would prove it was a temporary stay, though for me my stay would've been temporary even if she stayed in China. As soon as I graduated high school in China I was straight back to living in the UK, thats just under 2 years temporary leave.

That was about 2 and a half years ago now, and it'll be three years back in UK by the time Im supposed to start uni, but they've now changed it to 5 years of stay before start of course to be eligible for student maintenance loans as EU student and Im now confused whether or not I may be eligible at all despite having lived here over half my life. Would I be? And where and who am I supposed to ask this?

Also I'd like to add that it in my passport I have residence visa that shows temporary stay, my last residence visa showing issue date Feb 2015 (a month before my 18th birthday) and Valid until 30 Jun 2015 (just a few days after my high school graduation). Could this be proof?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by RainyLou)
    I first moved to the UK in 2005 and I've lived in the UK over half my life did my GCSE's here too, at 16 I had to temporarily move to china because of my mothers job but she still kept the house she owned here in the UK because obviously as soon as I finish my high school at 18 I'll be kicked out of China due to their laws not allowing me residence visa otherwise. Unfortunately she didn't get a "temporary" contract to which would prove it was a temporary stay, though for me my stay would've been temporary even if she stayed in China. As soon as I graduated high school in China I was straight back to living in the UK, thats just under 2 years temporary leave.

That was about 2 and a half years ago now, and it'll be three years back in UK by the time Im supposed to start uni, but they've now changed it to 5 years of stay before start of course to be eligible for student maintenance loans as EU student and Im now confused whether or not I may be eligible at all despite having lived here over half my life. Would I be? And where and who am I supposed to ask this?

Also I'd like to add that it in my passport I have residence visa that shows temporary stay, my last residence visa showing issue date Feb 2015 (a month before my 18th birthday) and Valid until 30 Jun 2015 (just a few days after my high school graduation). Could this be proof?
    Hi RaineyLou,

Depending on the circumstances you may be eligible to apply for Student Support if they have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break. You will be required to provide evidence of your temporary break regardless of the length of time they were temporary absent for.

What could be classed as a temporary break?
    • Gap Year
    • Holiday
    • Voluntary Work overseas
    • Working for HM Armed Forces
    • Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment
    What would not be classed as a temporary break?
    • People who emigrate to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland
    • People who are unable to satisfy SFE that their break was of a temporary nature
    • People who have exercised their right to roam elsewhere in the EU/EEA and will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of their course
    Acceptable Evidence
    • A letter from HEI confirming gap year
    • A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates
    • A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature
    • A letter from HM armed services if applicable
    • Temporary visas or work permits

Thanks

Catherine

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.