Turn on thread page Beta

Jamie932 New car Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What is your budget? (Insurance and Tax included)
    £12000

Are you a new driver?
    Yes

How old are you?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
    Mostly inner-city drives but the odd monthly long-distance drive (2.5 hoursish)

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
    Not in desperate need of a huge boot, just enough to get by.

Specific tasks you will be doing?
    Just driving from A-Z, but quite regularly.

Any brands you would prefer?
    Not too bothered with the make, but I've been looking at the usual Ford Fiestas, Skoda Fabias, Vauxhall Corsas, Volkswagen polos etc. Just can't settle for one!

Any brands you dislike?
    I've been in a few too many SEAT Ibiza's in my time so would prefer to avoid these.

What features in the car are important to you?
    I'd like my money to go towards visible value - a good looking interior dashboard would be a god send. I'd also like heated or leather seats but for my price range not sure if these are good features to be asking for (Ford Fiesta Titanium X has one for example < £10k). Also a fan of anything that makes the driving convenience easier, such as keyless entry, automatic lights and the alike. Willing to compromise on any of these though if it's asking too much (more money than sense argument).

What gearbox do you want?
    Don't Mind

Are aesthetics of the car important?
    Yes

Special requirements?
    -

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?

ReputationRep:
    It's Ibiza

Also you can get a Titanium X for less than 10k 2nd hand if you shop around. Keyless entry is a debatable perk, just makes your car easier to nick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    It's Ibiza

Also you can get a Titanium X for less than 10k 2nd hand if you shop around. Keyless entry is a debatable perk, just makes your car easier to nick.
    Haha much appreciated, updated that!

Yeah I've been looking at Titanium Xs but thought I'd come to broaden my horizons on this front and look at other options - as there's not a huge amount of reviews around these and the ones that do exist surmise that it's pretty overpriced for a Ford Fiesta trim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie932)
    Haha much appreciated, updated that!

Yeah I've been looking at Titanium Xs but thought I'd come to broaden my horizons on this front and look at other options - as there's not a huge amount of reviews around these and the ones that do exist surmise that it's pretty overpriced for a Ford Fiesta trim.
    Well most Ford Fiesta trims are pretty expensive, think it costs like £3k more for the ST-Line (although in fairness, you do get a fair bit for it lol). I've personally never seen the attraction to the Titanium X, except on the Mondeo; the Vignale on the other hand is extremely overpriced. The Polos are nice but if you've had enough of SEAT, it feels pointless to recommend a reskinned version of it lol.

You have left me with no choice but to recommend the current gen nissan micra or a clio.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You could get yourself a lovely second hand Golf with that budget!

If you have that big of a budget, I'd stay away from Fords tbh.

ReputationRep:
    £12000

Are you a new driver?
    Yes

How old are you?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
    Mostly inner-city drives but the odd monthly long-distance drive (2.5 hoursish)

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
    Not in desperate need of a huge boot, just enough to get by.

Specific tasks you will be doing?
    Just driving from A-Z, but quite regularly.

Any brands you would prefer?
    Not too bothered with the make, but I've been looking at the usual Ford Fiestas, Skoda Fabias, Vauxhall Corsas, Volkswagen polos etc. Just can't settle for one!

Any brands you dislike?
    I've been in a few too many SEAT Ibiza's in my time so would prefer to avoid these.

What features in the car are important to you?
    I'd like my money to go towards visible value - a good looking interior dashboard would be a god send. I'd also like heated or leather seats but for my price range not sure if these are good features to be asking for (Ford Fiesta Titanium X has one for example < £10k). Also a fan of anything that makes the driving convenience easier, such as keyless entry, automatic lights and the alike. Willing to compromise on any of these though if it's asking too much (more money than sense argument).

What gearbox do you want?
    Don't Mind

Are aesthetics of the car important?
    Yes

Special requirements?
    -

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?
    Can I ask why you’re avoiding the SEAT cars? They’re one option I’m looking at and look decent for a first car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accountant-future)
    Can I ask why you’re avoiding the SEAT cars? They’re one option I’m looking at and look decent for a first car
    "Been in a few too many"

Don't be put off by it, the new Seat Ibiza is probably the best car in the small hatchback segment right now, there's a reason that like VW Polo and Golfs, getting a new one comes with a long waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    "Been in a few too many"

Don't be put off by it, the new Seat Ibiza is probably the best car in the small hatchback segment right now, there's a reason that like VW Polo and Golfs, getting a new one comes with a long waiting list.
    I was confused by that reasoning though which is why I wanted more clarification on it.

Seen a decent SEAT Toledo car with a 1.2l engine for £7k (25,000 mileage) which I’m liking the look of so just wanted to see if there was another reason other than the OP being in a ‘few too many’.

ReputationRep:
    £12000

Are you a new driver?
    Yes
    12000 grand what how come you are spending so much all that money will go down the drain if you have an accident

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accountant-future)
    I was confused by that reasoning though which is why I wanted more clarification on it.

Seen a decent SEAT Toledo car with a 1.2l engine for £7k (25,000 mileage) which I’m liking the look of so just wanted to see if there was another reason other than the OP being in a ‘few too many’.
    Gross. If you're going down that route get a Leon, it's far better. The suspension on the Toledo will drive you berserk.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.