Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sooo my mum suffers from multiple sclerosis and a bunch of other things. One of the things which I deal with from being around her is some of comments. Her illness has a habit of effecting the way she thinks so she never words things quite right. She can say some really hurtful things and can really upset me but she can never apologise because she thinks it’s okay because of the disease she has. It’s complicated. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Same situation!! My mum has had chronic labyrinthitis for half a year now, and it means she's always in pain and takes it really badly out on us. Then when we confront her about it she accuses us of having no sympathy and gets furious lmao, I've literally cried because of how loud she shouts and the horrible way she acts, but I know it's because her illness makes her feel so bad so it's hard to know how to feel about it. So ye I understand completely. What I do is literally just try and keep her happy (not easy lol) but yknow, if she gets angry try and diffuse it asap, and when she's not angry just like make her a cuppa and say she's pretty or whatever - the happier she is the less likely she's say hurtful things I guess. It's really not ideal but you'll probably grow emotionally from this, it's how I think of it. However she acts, just remember it's really out of your control and you didn't do anything to deserve it. Also make sure she manages her illness, takes appropriate medication if it helps her feel less pain and hence be less emotionally nasty towards you. Good luck, and talk to me if ya need to x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greycorns)
    Same situation!! My mum has had chronic labyrinthitis for half a year now, and it means she's always in pain and takes it really badly out on us. Then when we confront her about it she accuses us of having no sympathy and gets furious lmao, I've literally cried because of how loud she shouts and the horrible way she acts, but I know it's because her illness makes her feel so bad so it's hard to know how to feel about it. So ye I understand completely. What I do is literally just try and keep her happy (not easy lol) but yknow, if she gets angry try and diffuse it asap, and when she's not angry just like make her a cuppa and say she's pretty or whatever - the happier she is the less likely she's say hurtful things I guess. It's really not ideal but you'll probably grow emotionally from this, it's how I think of it. However she acts, just remember it's really out of your control and you didn't do anything to deserve it. Also make sure she manages her illness, takes appropriate medication if it helps her feel less pain and hence be less emotionally nasty towards you. Good luck, and talk to me if ya need to x
    omg I’ve never read anything which I can relate to so much!! It’s so tough, right? I try and do the same, i try not to take it to heart but like sometimes it’s damn hard not to. I always feel selfish about it because I know she’s suffering so badly but you know, it does take a toll after a while. Thank you! Good luck to you too and same goes for you!! Always here x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hania04)
    omg I’ve never read anything which I can relate to so much!! It’s so tough, right? I try and do the same, i try not to take it to heart but like sometimes it’s damn hard not to. I always feel selfish about it because I know she’s suffering so badly but you know, it does take a toll after a while. Thank you! Good luck to you too and same goes for you!! Always here x
    Aah it does feel good to know someone else feels the same! but I also feel bad that you have to go through it haha- Well tbh, what I've learnt is that you're not selfish at all for wanting to be treated kindly by your own mother. However if she won't change the way she acts (like my mum, v v extremely stubborn lmao) then changing how you react to her is probably the safest thing to do ;/ Give her the sympathy she wants (even if it's slightly forced on your half - you can't always feel sympathy for someone who treats you bad hah) when she feels bad and it should be a-okay. I really wish the best for you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greycorns)
    I didnt read this but dude I cannot take you seriously with that profile pic 😂😂😂
    It's too jokes 🤣🤣🤣

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james ionicbond)
    I didnt read this but dude I cannot take you seriously with that profile pic 😂😂😂
    It's too jokes 🤣🤣🤣
    hahahahahah creaseee, should probs change that

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.