The Student Room Group

Brand new to the gym: Could someone help me?!

Hey guys, let me try to put this as briefly as I can :biggrin:

I'm 21 years old, male and my body fat is around 18-20% (nothing very exact lol, just guessing by researching a bit). So it's nothing very bad but I really want to get fit and start to feel comfortable with myself. So I started to work out just two weeks ago and I'm still kind of lost. Let's start with cardio.

I usually use the treadmill in a cardio session. Around 25-30min (doing intervals of walking-jogging) and I burn around 200kcal. Is that enough, or should I be burning more calories than that? My stamina isn't that great by the way. And, is it OK to do cardio 4-5 days a week as beginner?

About the strength training. I don't know how important it is when it comes to fat loss... and also, for some reason I'm not sweating much when I do it. Could be dehydration (I'm trying hard to drink more water everyday) since I really feel I'm doing the best my body can when it comes to lift weights.

Thanks!
Original post by Blisspolaroid

I'm 21 years old, male and my body fat is around 18-20% (nothing very exact lol, just guessing by researching a bit). So it's nothing very bad but I really want to get fit and start to feel comfortable with myself. So I started to work out just two weeks ago and I'm still kind of lost. Let's start with cardio.

I usually use the treadmill in a cardio session. Around 25-30min (doing intervals of walking-jogging) and I burn around 200kcal. Is that enough, or should I be burning more calories than that? My stamina isn't that great by the way. And, is it OK to do cardio 4-5 days a week as beginner?

About the strength training. I don't know how important it is when it comes to fat loss... and also, for some reason I'm not sweating much when I do it. Could be dehydration (I'm trying hard to drink more water everyday) since I really feel I'm doing the best my body can when it comes to lift weights.

Thanks!

It sounds like you're doing cardio quite well.

With strength training, try and get yourself a plan: Do Back and Biceps one day, Chest and Triceps another day and then Leg and Shoulders another day. :smile:

What sort of weight training have you been doing?
Original post by Blisspolaroid

Thanks!

Strength training is very useful for fat loss - I think it keeps your growth hormone levels high which stimulates fat burning but it also maintains as much muscle mass as possible.

You're probably not sweating because you're maybe not pushing yourself hard enough? Do about 4 sets of 8 reps. Lift heavy - heavy enough that you're struggling to finish the last rep. Take 1-2 minute breaks between each set. Do about 5 exercises per day in the gym (takes about an hour). That should leave you exhausted by the end of it.
Reply 3
How many calories burnt doing cardio isn't the real question. It's calories in vs calories out and how that related to your weight goals. Read the stickied FAQ if you have no idea what I mean

How much you sweat isn't really an indicator of anything. I sweat a lot from doing not much, I'm just of a sweaty disposition, it doesn't mean I'm working harder than anyone else. When it comes to lifting, not getting sweaty isn't at all unusual because you just do small amounts of actual exercise at a time. Lots of people in my gym train with hoodies on to keep their body temperature warm enough to not be cooling down
strength training and HIIT (high intensity interval training) is actually more effective for weight loss than cardio is

cant you get an instructor assigned to you to help you? it really helps
Hey guys! Thank you for all your answers and sorry for the late response.

I've been working out regularly for almost a month and a half and I am starting to see results. I look a bit more leaner now, but the thing is I haven't focused very much in strength training... and I am still confused in some things.

First of all, my body is close to what people would call "skinny fat". I've heard weightlifting is key to get rid of this type of body, but I also lost some belly fat doing HIIT on treadmill 3-4 times a week so here's my question.
I still want to lose fat (specially belly fat), so should I do HIIT 3-4 times a week + strength training, or should I stick to strength training and do less cardio (in order to build muscle mass)?

By the way, I've been on a diet for a while to be on caloric deficit.

Thanks! and yes, I know I am a newbie hahaha.
Dude, you just need to gain more muscle and improve your diet. Simple as that.
When I say Improve your diet, limit the amount of carbs and increase your Proteins and Vitamins intake (whilst eating below maintenance calories).

Check out this link for strength gaining.

The reason why I'm saying build more muscle and get stronger, is because your muscles shall be breathing aerobically which requires Glucose right?
Thus it shall burn up more fat surrounding the areas (as you're limiting the energy source from food).
muscle has a high metabolic rate so the more muscle you have, the more calories youll burn at rest hence more weight loss, however, try not to starve yourself, instead, feed your muscles boi

Quick Reply

Latest