Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

Firstly, thanks for reading this. I have recently started dating a lovely guy who is deaf. We get on really well and I see a possible long term future with him. However, communication is a bit awkward as I don't know any BSL, so instead we write and text a lot. To help combat this, I've decided to learn BSL
    I've been looking for on line and in class BSL courses, but none seem very intensive. I want to become as proficient as possible as quickly as possible, with my goal being to reach at least level 4. Obviously, I know this will still take years to achieve.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any methods, resources, websites or classes that I can take that would allow me to study BSL intensively. I've never had any experience with deafness or deaf culture before meeting this guy. This may sound extremely ignorant (i apologise if it does), but are there special courses for those who need to learn sign language quickly that I could sign up for? For example, classes for families of those who are deaf, and deaf people?

Thanks a lot for reading, and for any responses
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by forest3261)
    Hi there.

Firstly, thanks for reading this. I have recently started dating a lovely guy who is deaf. We get on really well and I see a possible long term future with him. However, communication is a bit awkward as I don't know any BSL, so instead we write and text a lot. To help combat this, I've decided to learn BSL
    I've been looking for on line and in class BSL courses, but none seem very intensive. I want to become as proficient as possible as quickly as possible, with my goal being to reach at least level 4. Obviously, I know this will still take years to achieve.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any methods, resources, websites or classes that I can take that would allow me to study BSL intensively. I've never had any experience with deafness or deaf culture before meeting this guy. This may sound extremely ignorant (i apologise if it does), but are there special courses for those who need to learn sign language quickly that I could sign up for? For example, classes for families of those who are deaf, and deaf people?

Thanks a lot for reading, and for any responses
    It's so great that you want to learn as quickly as possible, and of course completely understandable. I would really recommend looking into centres for deaf people and the people close to them in your area. They're often run by charities, often run courses, and they generally offer for you to practice your skills by using them to communicate with people there that want to interact with new people. I know there's one in my uni city, so it's worth looking into something like that. Perhaps combine two things? You aren't gong to learn it perfectly super quickly, which you already know, but if you take a class in person and practice in your own time as much as you can and maybe get help from your boyfriend too, who I'm sure will be super happy to help, then you might pick things up nice and quickly

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.