What is a high-maintenance guy?

Watch
angelike1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Any examples? And why is it necessarily a bad thing?
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by angelike1)
For a woman it's lots of attention, gifts and money.

For a guy, it's probably lots of sex and other derivatives.
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
For a woman it's lots of attention, gifts and money.

For a guy, it's probably lots of sex and other derivatives.
oh so its not how well-groomed the guy is or how concerned he is with 'maintaining' his appearance?
username2752874
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
oh so its not how well-groomed the guy is or how concerned he is with 'maintaining' his appearance?
Not so much, no.

Never really heard of "high-maintenance" being applied to a guy much either. It's usually said about females.
angelike1
Rep:
?
Not so much, no.

Never really heard of "high-maintenance" being applied to a guy much either. It's usually said about females.
So its that stereotypical popular girl in a hollywood high school movie - got it!

Makes more sense now.
Delusion6
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Eh? When I think high maintenanced man I think well-groomed too. One of those annoyingly feminine types - spends just as long in the bathroom, fixes his hair every two minutes (and throws a strop when someone ruins his hair), has as many beauty products as a woman, spends a lot of time on his look, takes hundreds of selfies every day, might even pout in a few. Just the same as a high maintenance woman only it's more annoying when a guy does it... looks kinda gay
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of a relationship it would mean needing loads of attention to be satisfied. So maybe things like loads of sex or having dinner waiting or having a super tidy house or expecting monetary contributions etc. Stuff that could be normal relationship stuff, but there's more of an expectation or demand for it and they'll likely throw a hissy if it doesn't happen.

Could be used to mean personal up-keep too though or other stuff like that. Maybe paying extra attention to having the perfect hair or always having breast matching clothes or whatever they see as fashionable.
Could apply to other aspects of life too like expecting a certain quality of food or car to always be pristine or always be on time.

Basically it could apply to any normal part of life, but having an extra expectation. Assumption would often be that it imposes on others too (or at least that's how I take it).
It's usually more of a female thing with gold-diggers, spoilt trust fund kids, over demanding gfs and the like, but could apply to anything else too.

Weather it's a bad thing or not would really depend on how the person saying it meant it, but I would tend to take it as a criticism. Bit like being called spoilt I guess.
Yeah like YouTube videos of spoilt kids or rich people in movies. Sharpe (or however you spell it) from high school musical screams high maintenance!
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Definitely not my kinda of guy
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well I’m confused because that’s exactly what I thought it was 😂
AlbinoScarecrow
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Think this is subjective.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not so much, no.

agreed.

i've never heard the term applied to males,...only females........
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So its that stereotypical popular girl in a hollywood high school movie - got it!

Makes more sense now.

Like them girls in Clueless..

also high maintenance is like a girl who always wants to speak on the phone a lot or a girl who texts a lot .......or just requires a lot of communication/attention to keep happy
username2752874
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by carrotstar)
Well I’m confused because that’s exactly what I thought it was 😂
Well, when a woman says "I'm high maintenance" it usually means that you're the one that neeeds to "maintain" her. I'd have thought it would be a parallel for men too 🤔
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maybe it's the type of guy whose wife/girlfriend has to put in a lot of time, money and effort into his 'maintainance'. Probably a guy with no job (or a low paid job but spends all of his money on himself), maybe spends most of his time at home doing nothing but swilling beer and playing video games, needing somebody else to pay the bills, cook food, do laundry, clean the house, etc.

I've never quite understood how guys like this not only end up in relationships, but that they don't get kicked out of the door either. Each to their own though! :P
cat_mac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Delusion6)
Eh? When I think high maintenanced man I think well-groomed too. One of those annoyingly feminine types - spends just as long in the bathroom, fixes his hair every two minutes (and throws a strop when someone ruins his hair), has as many beauty products as a woman, spends a lot of time on his look, takes hundreds of selfies every day, might even pout in a few. Just the same as a high maintenance woman only it's more annoying when a guy does it... looks kinda gay
Yep, that’s my definition of it too. Geordie shore/Towie types of guys that spends ages at the gym, get fake tans, basically just a high level of self maintenance.
angelike1
Rep:
?
(Original post by cat_mac)
Yep, that’s my definition of it too. Geordie shore/Towie types of guys that spends ages at the gym, get fake tans, basically just a high level of self maintenance.
Why is that bad though - if it does make them look better?
cat_mac
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why is that bad though - if it does make them look better?
It’s not “bad” it’s just high maintenance. Though sometimes it doesn’t make them look better, orange ken doll isn’t a great look imo!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (19)
8.64%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (14)
6.36%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (45)
20.45%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (28)
12.73%
No, nothing has changed (74)
33.64%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (40)
18.18%

Watched Threads