Turn on thread page Beta

What is a high-maintenance guy? watch

ReputationRep:
    Any examples? And why is it necessarily a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelike1)
    For a woman it's lots of attention, gifts and money.

For a guy, it's probably lots of sex and other derivatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    For a woman it's lots of attention, gifts and money.

For a guy, it's probably lots of sex and other derivatives.
    oh so its not how well-groomed the guy is or how concerned he is with 'maintaining' his appearance?

ReputationRep:
    oh so its not how well-groomed the guy is or how concerned he is with 'maintaining' his appearance?
    Not so much, no.

Never really heard of "high-maintenance" being applied to a guy much either. It's usually said about females.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much, no.

Never really heard of "high-maintenance" being applied to a guy much either. It's usually said about females.
    So its that stereotypical popular girl in a hollywood high school movie - got it!

Makes more sense now.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? When I think high maintenanced man I think well-groomed too. One of those annoyingly feminine types - spends just as long in the bathroom, fixes his hair every two minutes (and throws a strop when someone ruins his hair), has as many beauty products as a woman, spends a lot of time on his look, takes hundreds of selfies every day, might even pout in a few. Just the same as a high maintenance woman only it's more annoying when a guy does it... looks kinda gay
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    In terms of a relationship it would mean needing loads of attention to be satisfied. So maybe things like loads of sex or having dinner waiting or having a super tidy house or expecting monetary contributions etc. Stuff that could be normal relationship stuff, but there's more of an expectation or demand for it and they'll likely throw a hissy if it doesn't happen.

Could be used to mean personal up-keep too though or other stuff like that. Maybe paying extra attention to having the perfect hair or always having breast matching clothes or whatever they see as fashionable.
    Could apply to other aspects of life too like expecting a certain quality of food or car to always be pristine or always be on time.

Basically it could apply to any normal part of life, but having an extra expectation. Assumption would often be that it imposes on others too (or at least that's how I take it).
    It's usually more of a female thing with gold-diggers, spoilt trust fund kids, over demanding gfs and the like, but could apply to anything else too.

Weather it's a bad thing or not would really depend on how the person saying it meant it, but I would tend to take it as a criticism. Bit like being called spoilt I guess.
    Yeah like YouTube videos of spoilt kids or rich people in movies. Sharpe (or however you spell it) from high school musical screams high maintenance!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    A metrosexual. E.g. Jordie Shore lads. Nothing wrong with it though.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not my kinda of guy

ReputationRep:
    Well I’m confused because that’s exactly what I thought it was 😂

ReputationRep:
    Think this is subjective.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much, no.

agreed.

i've never heard the term applied to males,...only females........

ReputationRep:
    So its that stereotypical popular girl in a hollywood high school movie - got it!

Makes more sense now.

Like them girls in Clueless..

also high maintenance is like a girl who always wants to speak on the phone a lot or a girl who texts a lot .......or just requires a lot of communication/attention to keep happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    Well I’m confused because that’s exactly what I thought it was 😂
    Well, when a woman says "I'm high maintenance" it usually means that you're the one that neeeds to "maintain" her. I'd have thought it would be a parallel for men too 🤔

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's the type of guy whose wife/girlfriend has to put in a lot of time, money and effort into his 'maintainance'. Probably a guy with no job (or a low paid job but spends all of his money on himself), maybe spends most of his time at home doing nothing but swilling beer and playing video games, needing somebody else to pay the bills, cook food, do laundry, clean the house, etc.

I've never quite understood how guys like this not only end up in relationships, but that they don't get kicked out of the door either. Each to their own though! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delusion6)
    Eh? When I think high maintenanced man I think well-groomed too. One of those annoyingly feminine types - spends just as long in the bathroom, fixes his hair every two minutes (and throws a strop when someone ruins his hair), has as many beauty products as a woman, spends a lot of time on his look, takes hundreds of selfies every day, might even pout in a few. Just the same as a high maintenance woman only it's more annoying when a guy does it... looks kinda gay
    Yep, that’s my definition of it too. Geordie shore/Towie types of guys that spends ages at the gym, get fake tans, basically just a high level of self maintenance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Yep, that’s my definition of it too. Geordie shore/Towie types of guys that spends ages at the gym, get fake tans, basically just a high level of self maintenance.
    Why is that bad though - if it does make them look better?

ReputationRep:
    Why is that bad though - if it does make them look better?
    It’s not “bad” it’s just high maintenance. Though sometimes it doesn’t make them look better, orange ken doll isn’t a great look imo!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.