Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm looking for some advice:

I applied for 2018 entry Medicine, and I got 3/4 interviews. I'm on 1 rejection pre-interview and one rejection post-interview. I've decided to plan for the worst, just in case, and have a few questions that hopefully someone can help with.

If it comes to it, I want to apply again for 2019 entry. Would I be allowed to apply again to the same universities or would I have to apply to new ones?

What should I do with my time? I wouldn't take a gap year, as I feel that it would be rewarding for me to continue working and strengthen a possible re-application. Ideas I have had would be to look for a relevant Masters programme, or to apply to be a HCA. I'm leaning towards the Masters, as I would want to keep my medical and scientific knowledge fresh. Are there any other possible ideas?

Any ideas or advice is welcome. I'm keeping optimistic about the remaining 2 unis, but this could be the second time I've failed an application for medicine. This is (interview cliché incoming) my lifelong dream and I will reapply for as many times it takes until I get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by granger13)

I applied for 2018 entry Medicine, and I got 3/4 interviews. I'm on 1 rejection pre-interview and one rejection post-interview. I've decided to plan for the worst, just in case, and have a few questions that hopefully someone can help with.

If it comes to it, I want to apply again for 2019 entry. Would I be allowed to apply again to the same universities or would I have to apply to new ones?

What should I do with my time? I wouldn't take a gap year, as I feel that it would be rewarding for me to continue working and strengthen a possible re-application. Ideas I have had would be to look for a relevant Masters programme, or to apply to be a HCA. I'm leaning towards the Masters, as I would want to keep my medical and scientific knowledge fresh. Are there any other possible ideas?

Any ideas or advice is welcome. I'm keeping optimistic about the remaining 2 unis, but this could be the second time I've failed an application for medicine. This is (interview cliché incoming) my lifelong dream and I will reapply for as many times it takes until I get in.
    You'll have to check where the universities you applied to stand on reapplicants. Some will accept it no problem, some may have a limit and some may not accept those who were rejected post-interview before.

I mean whatever you do, your year(s) out will be a gap year. Do you need to do a masters (i.e. did you get a 2:2 in your undergrad)/do you want to do one? Because if it's just to kill time, I would say it's a waste of money. But others may disagree of course. How much work experience/volunteering do you have? There's nothing wrong with earning more money in the meantime and working as an HCA/something similar will always be good experience. Anyway, you need something to do. Random suggestion, but if you want to keep your knowledge fresh, would you ever consider tutoring part-time? Or something similar to that?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by granger13)

Well done on your application so far, don't be disheartened! Being accepted for interview in the first place, even though it was followed by rejection, is a great sign you're application is good - you just need to hone it now.

You should be fine applying for the same universities in 2019, don't worry about that.

A relevant Masters sounds great, but remember it's not just academic prowess that will gain you that place. HCA work is incredible for experience and networking, I did it for one year and it helped me immensely to get on the STP (I know it's not medicine - but still highly competitive and now I'm a Clinical Vascular Scientist).

Have you thought about asking a Careers Advice Service? They can help you with advice on your application for the future and also do mock interviews. As an alumni of Manchester they provided help for me even after graduating.

Good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.