Turn on thread page Beta

Boy, aged 16 to study Maths at Harvard University!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    Did he go to study Maths? Also what did he get for A-Levels?
    Physics.

A*A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    It's why their degree is 4 years in length.

Not worth it imo, whole extra year of American tuition fees
    Oh right. It costs A LOT doesn’t it? As in like 3 or 4 times more?

ReputationRep:
    Physics.

A*A*AA
    Wow. He went to Chicago? I wish I could lol. They mostly care about grades don’t they? Do you know what he got for GCSE’s?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. It costs A LOT doesn’t it? As in like 3 or 4 times more?
    Yessir

ReputationRep:
    Yessir
    That’s unlucky because I’d love to go there.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. He went to Chicago? I wish I could lol. They mostly care about grades don’t they? Do you know what he got for GCSE’s?
    He's very rich; he didn't get financial aid, if he asked for it, he most likely wouldn't get an offer. I think his parents have to churn out £40,000 up front every year, or in large instalments for him to carry on studying.

I think he got 5A*6A.

Naturally on the American scale he'd be a 4.0.

I think what got him the place was his ECs. He did lots of military crap and charity projects in the school and the community - and a gold DofE if that matters.

ReputationRep:
    That’s unlucky because I’d love to go there.
    Tbh, I don't know if I'd like to attend American unis. Maybe Caltech or MIT, but the others are so liberal in a facist manner it's ridiculous. They have such strict expectations on the way you act to minorities, LGBTs and such that you'd get attacked (verbally) for doing anything different it seems

ReputationRep:
    He's very rich; he didn't get financial aid, if he asked for it, he most likely wouldn't get an offer. I think his parents have to churn out £40,000 up front every year, or in large instalments for him to carry on studying.

I think he got 5A*6A.

Naturally on the American scale he'd be a 4.0.

I think what got him the place was his ECs. He did lots of military crap and charity projects in the school and the community - and a gold DofE if that matters.
    £40k is way too much. I was wondering as well, this kid must be very rich to do this. He did get good grades overall.

Allow that, you have to do that crap for an offer. It’s like trying to get into Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I don't know if I'd like to attend American unis. Maybe Caltech or MIT, but the others are so liberal in a facist manner it's ridiculous. They have such strict expectations on the way you act to minorities, LGBTs and such that you'd get attacked (verbally) for doing anything different it seems
    Yeah that’s true. They easily get triggered. That’s the problem, God knows how many other applicants are going to apply for institutions like Caltech and MIT.

ReputationRep:
    £40k is way too much. I was wondering as well, this kid must be very rich to do this. He did get good grades overall.

Allow that, you have to do that crap for an offer. It’s like trying to get into Cambridge.
    Yeah, in all fairness he did. Lots of people think you need all A* at A Level and GCSE to stand a chance, in reality, if you're competitive for Oxbridge you'll be competive for top US unis, so long as you do lots of ECs (SAT very important too).

Cambridge is different, it's basically A Level grades, aptitude test, interview. I don't think they even give a toss about our PS or ECs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that’s true. They easily get triggered. That’s the problem, God knows how many other applicants are going to apply for institutions like Caltech and MIT.
    Yeah, probably a waste of an application. Swear the average person there has a max SAT score and some next ACT😂.

Basically Imperial on steroids and less Asians

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in all fairness he did. Lots of people think you need all A* at A Level and GCSE to stand a chance, in reality, if you're competitive for Oxbridge you'll be competive for top US unis, so long as you do lots of ECs (SAT very important too).

Cambridge is different, it's basically A Level grades, aptitude test, interview. I don't think they even give a toss about our PS or ECs.
    I’m one of those typical students who think you need all A*s to apply for any university over there. Oh yeah did this person sit SAT? How is that graded?

Yeah I don’t think they care much for EC’s but it’s the norm because most applicants will have a lot for EC’s.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, probably a waste of an application. Swear the average person there has a max SAT score and some next ACT😂.

Basically Imperial on steroids and less Asians
    Yeah lol that’s so true. They’d have a pile of applicants with amazing SAT and ACT results yet they get rejected. The best of the best will be rejected but it doesn’t mean that they’re any less of good applicants.

Haha, I also think of them similar to Imperial but better.

ReputationRep:
    I’m one of those typical students who think you need all A*s to apply for any university over there. Oh yeah did this person sit SAT? How is that graded?

Yeah I don’t think they care much for EC’s but it’s the norm because most applicants will have a lot for EC’s.
    It's 800 for writing and reading. There's a section on grammar and punctuation lol.

Then 800 for Maths, which is at GCSE Level.

He got 1580.

Honestly, if you can get an A in A Level maths, you'll get 760 as a worst case in the SAT maths section. So it's quite an easy test. There's practise tests online that let you convert your score

ACT is a fair way harder

ReputationRep:
    It's 800 for writing and reading. There's a section on grammar and punctuation lol.

Then 800 for Maths, which is at GCSE Level.

He got 1580.

Honestly, if you can get an A in A Level maths, you'll get 760 as a worst case in the SAT maths section. So it's quite an easy test. There's practise tests online that let you convert your score

ACT is a fair way harder
    So the whole thing is sort of GCSE/AS Level? Well if that’s what it is then it isn’t so hard. He done well, 1580 is a good score.

What’s the actual difference between SAT and ACT? What do the universities over there want, SAT or ACT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    #BlackExcellence

I think we need to start seeing more black people represented more often in the media as smart individuals!

https://twitter.com/AyrtonLittle/sta...01621356449793

Also his friend was accepted into Yale at 16 years old!

We have also become really good friends after I reached out to him on Twitter!
    If you want I can ask him questions about how he applied and etc If anyone on here is thinking of applying to the US (I am).

no need to bring race into it. it has nothing to do with race.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can a student apply early to American universities for Maths?

If so, what would they require e.g. A levels, STEP, Olympiad performance, etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    Can a student apply early to American universities for Maths?

If so, what would they require e.g. A levels, STEP, Olympiad performance, etc?
    I think so. I think you’d need GCSE’s, A-Levels and SATs I think I’m not sure it could be ACT.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think so. I think you’d need GCSE’s, A-Levels and SATs I think I’m not sure it could be ACT.
    I googled some practice tests for SATS/ACT.

Isn't SAT easier than GCSE level and ACT being Maths A level ish?

SAT < GCSE < AS Level < A2 Maths < ACT < A level Further Maths < BMO+?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    I googled some practice tests for SATS/ACT.

Isn't SATS easier than GCSE level and ACT being Maths A level ish?

SATS < GCSE < AS Level < A2 Maths < ACT < A level Further Maths < BMO+?
    It does kind of go like that. I know SAT as you said is like GCSE Level English and Maths. ACT is probably like A-Levels. Kyber Ninja can give better information. I think higher level BMO papers are likely to be harder than ACT.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.