The Student Room Group

Boy, aged 16 to study Maths at Harvard University!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Black Water
So the whole thing is sort of GCSE/AS Level? Well if that’s what it is then it isn’t so hard. He done well, 1580 is a good score.

What’s the actual difference between SAT and ACT? What do the universities over there want, SAT or ACT?

SAT is GCSE Level content.

If you score 1500, you're on the top 1%.

ACT is closer to A Level. ACT Maths will have A Level type content in it for example. Still below stuff like C4 though

There's also SAT tests for Chemistry, Biology, physics etc that are laughably easy.

I'm sure if you do it on your first go you'd get a high score. it's really a pathetic test.

America's SAT and GPA system is why unis there look at ECs. It's hard for a student to differentiate themselves because their curriculum is styled in terms of BTECs. Ie no end of year exams and ****. Just lots of coursework. It really goes against able students.
(edited 6 years ago)
It does kind of go like that. I know SAT as you said is like GCSE Level English and Maths. ACT is probably like A-Levels. @Kyber Ninja can give better information. I think higher level BMO papers are likely to be harder than ACT.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/sat-practice-test-1.pdf

That's an SAT paper. Look at it, a true joke for college entrance.

While we deal with STEP, BMAT, PAT and TSA, they do that 😂.

Maths section towards the end
Reply 62
Original post by Kyber Ninja

ACT is closer to A Level. ACT Maths will have A Level type content in it for example.

There's also SAT tests for Chemistry, Biology, physics etc that are laughably easy.

I'm sure if you do it on your first go you'd get a high score. it's really a pathetic test.

America's SAT and GPA system is why unis there look at ECs. It's hard for a student to differentiate themselves because their curriculum is styled in terms of BTECs. Ie no end of year exams and ****. Just lots of coursework. It really goes against able students.

Wow. So with good SAT, ACT and A-Levels along with EC’s can get you into a good university? I would do that but I have no $$$. Education system isn’t exactly harder over there than here then.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by erratic_deus
The admission rate to Harvard is just over 5%.

One of the 5% happened to be Ayrton Little, who was surrounded by all of his classmates when he opened his acceptance email into Harvard!
[video="youtube;Bh37H08wa8s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh37H08wa8s[/video]

He was also offered a full scholarship and will be studying at Harvard by the time I (similar age) get my GCSE results!

Here are some articles that document his success;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5177521/Louisiana-boy-16-explodes-joy-Harvard-admission.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/harvard-university-video-teenager-win-place-ivy-league-college-high-school-louisiana-a8109936.html (This article I don't agree with - He didn't win a place. He earned it!)

http://time.com/5064523/ayrton-little-harvard-acceptance/

His friends (James Dennis) also got into Yale to study Maths at age 16 and his older brother will be studying Computer Science at Stanford!

Excellent family, excellent school and massive respect to the teachers.
Their story is extremely touching and motivating.

What relevance does this have to anyone in the UK (the vast majority of people on this forum)?
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
Good for him for getting into Harvard.

But why do you continue to adversely connect everything to race and BME, stop trying to spread your political agenda believe what you believe but black people aren't treated like **** and there achievements are covered in the news but not identifying them as black because that is what radicals like you want.

Wouldn’t worry mate, she’s been banned 3 times in 4 hours.
Wow. So with good SAT, ACT and A-Levels along with EC’s can get you into a good university? I would do that but I have no $$$.

ACT is completely optional. I mean, if you're the type of guy that does better on harder tests than you could do the ACT instead of SAT. You only really gotta do one.

So yeah, with this preparation, that's kinda why they're doing A Level maths in uni.

The $$$ is always the hard part
Original post by Andrew97
Wouldn’t worry mate, she’s been banned 3 times in 4 hours.

Clearly the mods need to up their game if it's only 3 times
Original post by RedGiant
What relevance does this have to anyone in the UK (the vast majority of people on this forum)?

Because "#BlackExcellence"
Reply 68
https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/sat-practice-test-1.pdf

That's an SAT paper. Look at it, a true joke for college entrance.

While we deal with STEP, BMAT, PAT and TSA, they do that 😂.

Maths section towards the end

This is their university entrance exam?! Not going to lie, that’s actually piss easy for prospective college students. Lol our STEP compared to their SAT is nothing.
Because "#BlackExcellence"

*Sigh* Oh god...
Reply 70
ACT is completely optional. I mean, if you're the type of guy that does better on harder tests than you could do the ACT instead of SAT. You only really gotta do one.

So yeah, with this preparation, that's kinda why they're doing A Level maths in uni.

The $$$ is always the hard part

Is ACT more favourable in terms of does t give a batter chance of an offer than SAT’s? No wonder everyone pretty much gets full marks. If I had the $$$ I would definitely get in over there then lol.

ACT is closer to A Level. ACT Maths will have A Level type content in it for example. Still below stuff like C4 though

The student in the video. According to people here, he's doing his ACT this year? Wouldn't this mean that he's at the same level or below the top year 12s in the UK who deal with STEP, BMO and stuff? Does that mean that year 12s have a good chance of entering early into the top colleges e.g. Harvard?
(edited 6 years ago)
This is their university entrance exam?! Not going to lie, that’s actually piss easy for prospective college students. Lol our STEP compared to their SAT is nothing.

America for you - free guns and free high scores
this is old news lol. Also his brother got into Stanford, wheres his cheering? Stanford is much harder to get into.
Original post by thekidwhogames
The student in the video. According to people here, he's doing his ACT this year? Wouldn't this mean that he's at the same level or below the top year 12s in the UK who deal with STEP, BMO and stuff? Does that mean that year 12s have a good chance of entering early into the ACT?

Yeah. You can do them whenever you want.

He did an AS Level type aptitude test in Y12. yes i know, it's not that out of the ordinary
Reply 75
America for you - free guns and free high scores

Yeah the free guns part is still annoying. You could literally get some to sit the SAT’s for you and get into a good college. Many students have the SAT’s for other students to make a quick buck and get them into colleges the likes of Stanford, Harvard and Yale.
Original post by Radioactivedecay
this is old news lol. Also his brother got into Stanford, wheres his cheering? Stanford is much harder to get into.

Probably didn't give enough of a reaction to his admission like this dude

LUL ACT is not easy mate, its one of most exhausting tests IVe ever done, I did it on my first day without revising much thinking it was easy and I got a 27. The time presuure is immense! english is 100 questions in 45 mins
Reply 78
Original post by Radioactivedecay

Yeah it’s actually is. Everyone believes Harvard is harder to get into for some reason. I think there was a video for him as well which was similar to this one.
Yeah. You can do them whenever you want.

He did an AS Level type aptitude test in Y12. yes i know, it's not that out of the ordinary

I may apply to the US then lmao

I think in America there's a huge range. Either you're mathematically less able and therefore have to do these easy type of tests and stick with the syllabus or you're gifted and nurtured - I mean they do perform amazingly in IMO though not everyone is given this chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending