Turn on thread page Beta

Is it better to spend money on experiences or items? watch

Do you think its better to spend your money on experiences or items? My parents situation made me think. They are not very sociable people they never have been and haven't had many friends/spend a lot of time at home. They used to go for days out together but now they very rarely do. My mum spends most of her time listing items on eBay and organising items she sells, she stores them in a room. My dad spends most of his time (if not almost all) lying on the couch on his playstation. My dad says that he is happy with his lifestyle but my mum said she's not really happy. As a result my mum blames my dad for not being able to go on days out etc as he just doesn't want to, although she doesn't appear all that up for going on days out herself to be honest.

They own a house and nearly have their mortgage paid off. My mum would like to get an extension on the house so that she has more space. She asked me what I thought I said it depends if you want to spend money on the house or on things like holidays etc. Though it just got me thinking, people say that money is best spent on experiences rather than material possessions. But then I think well won't an extension make her happier, if she enjoys storing things to sell on eBay.

I dont know, I thought Id ask do you think money should go on experiences or on 'things'?

I'd say a bit of both
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Cop-out answer but a mix of both. Experiences are expensive and short term. Things can give you immediate and long term pleasure.

I went to Berlin by myself for a long weekend last year for around £300 and it was one of the best experiences of my life. But the £300 I spent on my PS4 in 2014 is still giving me daily entertainment now.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.