Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know that I'm a sad joke of a first year for caring, but my grades are really getting me down, even though objectively thinking, they really aren't that bad. It just really ****s with my head that when I turned in something I worked really hard on for a week and a half, it got literally 3% more than the essay that I completely forgot about till the 24 hours left to upload reminder landed in my inbox... So, does anyone have any tips for adjusting to the fact that 70% is actually good and you probably will never be more than 1 or 2 precent over it in any of your classes?

ReputationRep:
    ThatShortGirl,

Too many adults have told me, "School grades matter when you're in school, but they don't mean sh*t once you're out." I can appreciate what they're trying to say, but it's difficult if I've not seen their experiences. It's like when mum & dad said not to touch the flame on the hob "b/c it's hot". Yea ... well ... it's f*cking cool looking so I may have touched it ... and burnt myself. But I learned.

I'm prattling on b/c I want to know what it FEELS like when people say, "Don't put so much importance on it now b/c it won't matter later in life." That being said, ThatShortGirl ... Don't put so much importance on it now because [apparently] it won't matter later in life. [Apparently] Your self confidence, self-worth, self esteem, truth, and appreciating of empathy will always outshine what you're going through now.

My 2p. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I got a mountain to climb this final semester but I am pumped I’m excited I’m ready
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    I got a mountain to climb this final semester but I am pumped I’m excited I’m ready
    ^That’s the right attitude OP

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by 70%? As far as I know, 70 is a first, so getting a high 2:1 or a first isn’t really “not that bad”, it’s very good. At my uni it was pretty hard to get more than about 73 at all. That’s getting into “best essay I’ve seen in the last couple of years / since I started teaching this module” territory.

Yes it’s hard to adjust to the fact that university marking for essays certainly can be a bit random. However if you’ve only done 2 essays, that isn’t a huge sample to compare from. So I wouldn’t assume that there is no relationship between how much effort you put in and your mark, it could just be that you happened upon a good argument for one of your essays. I have got high 2.1s and even firsts for essays I have done in a day but also failed them. But when I planned essays weeks in advance and did them properly, I ended up with a much more consistent distribution and overall higher marks. On the other hand other people might only get a 2.2 if they did a last minute essay and need to work hard to get a 2.1. Find out your uni’s mark scheme and don’t evaluate your grades on an A level type scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trou_noir)
    What do you mean by 70%?
    Yeah I didn't phrase my original post very well... what I mean is that I know I'm getting the best possible grades, and that it's pretty much impossible to get anything above 75%, but when I just see the numbers, it feels so awfully low. It's probably just cause I'm too used to how my high school generally graded things, but it's just so hard to get into the mindset that 70% = good, if that makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatShortGirl)
    Yeah I didn't phrase my original post very well... what I mean is that I know I'm getting the best possible grades, and that it's pretty much impossible to get anything above 75%, but when I just see the numbers, it feels so awfully low. It's probably just cause I'm too used to how my high school generally graded things, but it's just so hard to get into the mindset that 70% = good, if that makes any sense.
    well, it’s only 70% if you are being marked out of 100. if in reality no one ever gets over 80, then you’re being marked out of 80, and a 70 is actually more like 88%...

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.