The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Freshers week at Pollock Halls for Under 18s

I don't turn 18 until 3 weeks after freshers. I am slightly worried that freshers wont be as enjoyable for me as I wont be able to go out and make as many friends. I get that you can make lots of friends after freshers but I still want to have a good time for my first week and I don't want to feel depressed in the first week. Does anyone have any advice or info about how freshers is for 17 year olds.
(edited 6 years ago)
I was already 18 during freshers, but I don't drink or party, and I still had an amazing time! Societies will be putting up all sorts of events, there'll be Ceilidhs, trips to Arthur's seat, to the Castle, potlucks, and a million other things, all during the day. There'll also be events on at night where you don't need to be 18 to join, such as some of the Ceilidhs, and possibly some specific society things, like meetups. I can guarantee that you'll make bunches of friends, and that you'll have an awesome time going out on your 18th with all your new friends!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by ThatShortGirl
I was already 18 during freshers, but I don't drink or party, and I still had an amazing time! Societies will be putting up all sorts of events, there'll be Ceilidhs, trips to Arthur's seat, to the Castle, potlucks, and a million other things, all during the day. There'll also be events on at night where you don't need to be 18 to join, such as some of the Ceilidhs, and possibly some specific society things, like meetups. I can guarantee that you'll make bunches of friends, and that you'll have an awesome time going out on your 18th with all your new friends!

Thank you! Feeling a little less anxious now hahahah
Genuinely maybe consider borrowing someone's ID. You don't necessarily need to go clubbing but in all honesty a lot of good flat bonding is done on nights out. As long as you're at least there for pre drinks though you should be fine. Can always post on the facebook page and see if there are any other 17 year olds that want to hang out one night when everyone is going clubbing.
Reply 4
Original post by showaeski
Genuinely maybe consider borrowing someone's ID. You don't necessarily need to go clubbing but in all honesty a lot of good flat bonding is done on nights out. As long as you're at least there for pre drinks though you should be fine. Can always post on the facebook page and see if there are any other 17 year olds that want to hang out one night when everyone is going clubbing.

yeh i was thinking of borrowing someones ID, do you think Id be able to get away with that, like is it common for people who borrow IDs to get away with it in Edinburgh.
Original post by Amna2000
yeh i was thinking of borrowing someones ID, do you think Id be able to get away with that, like is it common for people who borrow IDs to get away with it in Edinburgh.

I've never tried it in Edin but I've gotten away with no ID/borrowed ID in quite a few cities so I'd imagine you'd be fine. Especially if you're out on a freshers night with other students, they'll assume you're of age. They'll still probably check for ID but you'd be able to get away with someone who just has similar hair colour.
Try borrowing ID from a home friend/cousin/sister etc. If not then perhaps borrow someone's in your accommodation, either someone that isn't going out that night or someone's driving license if they're prepared to use their passport.
Original post by Amna2000
I don't turn 18 until 3 weeks after freshers. I am slightly worried that freshers wont be as enjoyable for me as I wont be able to go out and make as many friends. I get that you can make lots of friends after freshers but I still want to have a good time for my first week and I don't want to feel depressed in the first week. Does anyone have any advice or info about how freshers is for 17 year olds.

Some Scots start their degree at 17 as Highers only last one year, so you won't be the only underage fresher.

As others have mentioned, there will be plenty of events for you to participate in during Welcome Week making it really easy to make friends.

I cannot recommend borrowing someone's identification, even if others have gotten away with it before. Just wait until your 18 - it's not like all clubs close permanently after Welcome Week :smile: Plenty of opportunities to go out with your flatmates throughout the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending