Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you know any people who blog about Leicester?? The uni did a good job of flooding youtube with official videos but I want like real **** yknow? Especially medicine but anything is appreciate xx

ReputationRep:
    I don't blog but I currently go UOL and live there so if you have any questions you're more than welcome to ask?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krafiq)
    I don't blog but I currently go UOL and live there so if you have any questions you're more than welcome to ask?
    I mean it’s a bit of everything 😂😂 with other unis you can see stories of people who hate it, love it, hate a certain aspect. Advice and stuff yknow? I guess I’m mainly curious about accommodation (where would you recommend, any horror stories, etc.) and also...this sounds dumb but is it posh at all? 😂 I know it’s a lot to talk about so just blank if you don’t wanna but I’d really appreciate your review x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloebird)
    I mean it’s a bit of everything 😂😂 with other unis you can see stories of people who hate it, love it, hate a certain aspect. Advice and stuff yknow? I guess I’m mainly curious about accommodation (where would you recommend, any horror stories, etc.) and also...this sounds dumb but is it posh at all? 😂 I know it’s a lot to talk about so just blank if you don’t wanna but I’d really appreciate your review x
    Okay so this is gon be long 😂

I went to uni in Kent for my first year and acc transferred to leic for my 2nd year so really I've got a bit more experience id like to think.

I love living in Leicester- there's such a variety of accomodation you'll deffo find something that suits you. They have Uni-accomodation at Oadby which is far from campus but has good bus links. Opal court which looks quite good and is 5 mins from campus and Freeman which is 5 mins from campus as well and they're all pretty good quality. I've got my own flat privately rented 10 mins from campus and I love it. I have tesco/sainsburys/local stores 5 mins from me. The shopping centre is 15 mins from me and id deffo recommend living somewhere on London road.

People do say that perhaps the area isn't the best at night, but I regularly walk around at 2-3am(late night cinema and food😂😂) and have had 0 issues. Maybe it's diff for girls but everyone I've spoken to says the area is a lot better now than it used to be.

People have said to me that it's posh, but to be honest I don't see it? With all the friends I've made they're all normal etc. Plus they say UOL is posh in comparison to DMU* - other uni in the centre of town) and yeah DMU is more diverse let's say and that may be true though I don't think anyone is stuck up or anything everyone I've met is friendly etc.

Advice? Id say come and take a look at the campus and spend some the day in the area. The lecture theatres are all a decent size, have good desks etc and depending on your course are all close to the centre of campus. The campus itself has a hugggge students union with its own club which hosts events (o2 academy) plus Leicester has loads of student bars and clubs etc. And it's v safe on those nights eg. They have ppl to make sure drunk students get home okay.* It has a food court, restaurant, Starbucks, another vegan cafe, library cafe, another food area, another cafe in the science department so yeah there's a lot of stuff on campus. Plus the students council acc does get stuff done eg. We've all been given free printer credits etc.

If you are gonna start your first year I suggest looking into halls as often you'll make really good friends this way - you can always select a smaller sized flat etc so it wouldn't be that hard.

The campus hosts like really good events quite often eg. Had a Santa come over on Christmas , Chinese dragon costume performance for Chinese New year they do* a lot plus they're investing in the campus.

Tbh all my horror stories come from kent, everything in Leicester has been great so far.

Criticism wise, The uni gym while good isn't 24/7 and is kinda expensive but there's loads of cheaper options. The library does get crowded but yeah that's true for every library.

Actually, just remembered that at the beginning of this year there were issues with accomodation eg. Not being habitable and the Uni having to move students to better places.

Meadow/Digby hall's in Oadby had no heating for a 8 weeks so students were able to claim money back 😂😂 regents court had water issues that's all I can rmmber

They've even started a professional accomodation advice service for an studetns which is great

I have **** eyesight so if you have questions as to the accessibility department lemme know 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krafiq)
    Okay so this is gon be long 😂

I went to uni in Kent for my first year and acc transferred to leic for my 2nd year so really I've got a bit more experience id like to think.

I love living in Leicester- there's such a variety of accomodation you'll deffo find something that suits you. They have Uni-accomodation at Oadby which is far from campus but has good bus links. Opal court which looks quite good and is 5 mins from campus and Freeman which is 5 mins from campus as well and they're all pretty good quality. I've got my own flat privately rented 10 mins from campus and I love it. I have tesco/sainsburys/local stores 5 mins from me. The shopping centre is 15 mins from me and id deffo recommend living somewhere on London road.

People do say that perhaps the area isn't the best at night, but I regularly walk around at 2-3am(late night cinema and food😂😂) and have had 0 issues. Maybe it's diff for girls but everyone I've spoken to says the area is a lot better now than it used to be.

People have said to me that it's posh, but to be honest I don't see it? With all the friends I've made they're all normal etc. Plus they say UOL is posh in comparison to DMU* - other uni in the centre of town) and yeah DMU is more diverse let's say and that may be true though I don't think anyone is stuck up or anything everyone I've met is friendly etc.

Advice? Id say come and take a look at the campus and spend some the day in the area. The lecture theatres are all a decent size, have good desks etc and depending on your course are all close to the centre of campus. The campus itself has a hugggge students union with its own club which hosts events (o2 academy) plus Leicester has loads of student bars and clubs etc. And it's v safe on those nights eg. They have ppl to make sure drunk students get home okay.* It has a food court, restaurant, Starbucks, another vegan cafe, library cafe, another food area, another cafe in the science department so yeah there's a lot of stuff on campus. Plus the students council acc does get stuff done eg. We've all been given free printer credits etc.

If you are gonna start your first year I suggest looking into halls as often you'll make really good friends this way - you can always select a smaller sized flat etc so it wouldn't be that hard.

The campus hosts like really good events quite often eg. Had a Santa come over on Christmas , Chinese dragon costume performance for Chinese New year they do* a lot plus they're investing in the campus.

Tbh all my horror stories come from kent, everything in Leicester has been great so far.

Criticism wise, The uni gym while good isn't 24/7 and is kinda expensive but there's loads of cheaper options. The library does get crowded but yeah that's true for every library.

Actually, just remembered that at the beginning of this year there were issues with accomodation eg. Not being habitable and the Uni having to move students to better places.

Meadow/Digby hall's in Oadby had no heating for a 8 weeks so students were able to claim money back 😂😂 regents court had water issues that's all I can rmmber

They've even started a professional accomodation advice service for an studetns which is great

I have **** eyesight so if you have questions as to the accessibility department lemme know 😂

Jeez that was super helpful 😂😂 I think tbh I’m most scared of people being posh so I think you’re right I should come and stick around for at least a day. But I’m def shoving some of this info in my notes xx thanks man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloebird)
    Jeez that was super helpful 😂😂 I think tbh I’m most scared of people being posh so I think you’re right I should come and stick around for at least a day. But I’m def shoving some of this info in my notes xx thanks man
    You're welcome and im glad i could help 🤗🤗

University open days

1. University of Leicester
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. University of Leicester
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.