The Student Room Group

Higher insurance choice than firm - question

Context first - I’ve received all my offers to study computer science (Newcastle, Liverpool, Swansea, Royal Holloway and Loughborough foundation year). My predictions are 3Bs across Business, Physics and Chemistry. My two favourite choices are Newcastle and Liverpool. I’ve received the lower partners offer from Newcastle AAB down to BBB, while my Liverpool offer is ABB.
My question is - Is it possible to make Liverpool work out as an insurance to Newcastle?
My thought train being that Newcastle is higher ranked for my course, therefore it’s more competitive, so on results day there will be a very small margin for error in grades (especially given my offers already lower). While from what I understand Liverpool’s reputation has fallen over the years and the course isn’t ranked nearly as good as Newcastle’s, so given these factors Liverpool may have more leniency to entry (I have a friend who got onto civil engineering at Liverpool AAB entry with grades BBC) and could work out as an insurance choice. I’ve also heard the birth cohort is in our favour this year - more spaces than people to fill them?

Is this possible?
Original post by SwagMoneyBaller
Context first - I’ve received all my offers to study computer science (Newcastle, Liverpool, Swansea, Royal Holloway and Loughborough foundation year). My predictions are 3Bs across Business, Physics and Chemistry. My two favourite choices are Newcastle and Liverpool. I’ve received the lower partners offer from Newcastle AAB down to BBB, while my Liverpool offer is ABB.
My question is - Is it possible to make Liverpool work out as an insurance to Newcastle?
My thought train being that Newcastle is higher ranked for my course, therefore it’s more competitive, so on results day there will be a very small margin for error in grades (especially given my offers already lower). While from what I understand Liverpool’s reputation has fallen over the years and the course isn’t ranked nearly as good as Newcastle’s, so given these factors Liverpool may have more leniency to entry (I have a friend who got onto civil engineering at Liverpool AAB entry with grades BBC) and could work out as an insurance choice. I’ve also heard the birth cohort is in our favour this year - more spaces than people to fill them?

Is this possible?

Yes it is possible but at this point it is all speculation. In any case, it is always a bet to put an insurance that has higher conditional offer requirements than your firm. Also I wouldn't think that this year's birth cohort would be in your favour because 2000 is the millennial year, I could be wrong though.

Is this possible?

UCAS hasn't implemented anything that prevents you from having your firm choice lower than your insurance choice, so it's definitely possible.

The question about whether or not Liverpool is willing to budge on their offer (to be honest, they probably will) can really only be answered on results day. CompSci is often in Clearing (even for universities like Bath and I believe I also saw Warwick too on last year's Telegraph Clearing supplement).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about all this and just firm the university you REALLY want to go to.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
UCAS hasn't implemented anything that prevents you from having your firm choice lower than your insurance choice, so it's definitely possible.

The question about whether or not Liverpool is willing to budge on their offer (to be honest, they probably will) can really only be answered on results day. CompSci is often in Clearing (even for universities like Bath and I believe I also saw Warwick too on last year's Telegraph Clearing supplement).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about all this and just firm the university you REALLY want to go to.

Given I don't do maths would places such as Bath and Warwick still take me in clearing?
Reply 4
Given I don't do maths would places such as Bath and Warwick still take me in clearing?

You would need to have any required subjects.

Or go via a foundation year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was only using Bath and Warwick as examples of 'top' universities were in Clearing 2017.

As @Doonesbury said, you'll need to have the required subjects.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending