The Student Room Group

Career in CS without going to University ?

So I have an offer to study a technical degree at UCL in the coming summer HOWEVER i have recently been considering not going to university at all and just getting an entry level job in CS and build years of experience and avoid the LONDON related debt. So what i want to know is will this hinder my chances of one day working for one of the big 4 (Google, Facebook etc) , as they all state their requirements are a degree but some people say you can get a job there regardless.
IMHO it feels that these days it is becoming more and more apparent that experience > degree. Its usually just because its easier to filter out the not so good candidates from the better ones by saying that you require a degree. However, there is absolutely nothing stopping you from creating a good portfolio of products and getting a job with literally any company.

I sure as hell know that I would pick someone who has 5 years of industry experience over someone who just left a degree and had no prior work experience (Assuming they did not partake in a placement year).
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending