Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im defo firming Leeds but Im stuck between sheffield and brighton university as my insurance...help? x
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by gigi77774)
    Im defo firming Leeds but Im stuck between sheffield and brighton university as my insurance...help? x
    Sheffield. It is in the RG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Sheffield. It is in the RG
    You might well be correct, but that is a dreadfully shallow reason.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    You might well be correct, but that is a dreadfully shallow reason.
    I know. The OP did not provide background info, so i went with name only

ReputationRep:
    Ok... Well, your title is completely misleading. Also, you need to provide far more information. Subject? Requirements? Predicted grades? Confidence that you will achieve those predictions? Your own preferences for the course? for the type of place you want to live?

Should have said Brighton because it's got a beach!

ReputationRep:
    Ok... Well, your title is completely misleading. Also, you need to provide far more information. Subject? Requirements? Predicted grades? Confidence that you will achieve those predictions? Your own preferences for the course? for the type of place you want to live?

Sorry, Im applying for Maths and Econ, and the requirements for leeds will be ABB, (A2L scheme) and sheffield is AAB, Brighton is BBC but thats in my top 3 because its a really pretty city like you said! I want to live in a city though and Im more interested in the nightlife and I know leeds is good for this. I was predicted ABB and Im very confident Ill achieve these grades if not exceed them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Not a massive fan of the beach.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sorry, Im applying for Maths and Econ, and the requirements for leeds will be ABB, (A2L scheme) and sheffield is AAB, Brighton is BBC but thats in my top 3 because its a really pretty city like you said! I want to live in a city though and Im more interested in the nightlife and I know leeds is good for this. I was predicted ABB and Im very confident Ill achieve these grades if not exceed them.
    First of all, look for the top 2 that you really want to attend and apply there. Do not try to play a strategic game. If you like Brighton, then apply there.

Watch this video, it should help with offer conditions and how to make a decision.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8

ReputationRep:
    First of all, look for the top 2 that you really want to attend and apply there. Do not try to play a strategic game. If you like Brighton, then apply there.

Watch this video, it should help with offer conditions and how to make a decision.

This. Plus if you don't insure Brighton but miss your others you would have a fair chance of getting in there through clearing.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Not a massive fan of the beach.
    But it's pebbles so you don't get sand everywhere you don't want it....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    University of Sheffield is a lovely university as long as you don't have any problems with living in the middle of a city

Night life in Sheffield is amazing, there is a lot of stuff to do there, I know this because I used to live there for about 5 years
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But it's pebbles so you don't get sand everywhere you don't want it....
    True

ReputationRep:

This. Plus if you don't insure Brighton but miss your others you would have a fair chance of getting in there through clearing.
    Thanks guys Ill check out the link now

(Original post by Steljoy)
    University of Sheffield is a lovely university as long as you don't have any problems with living in the middle of a city

Night life in Sheffield is amazing, there is a lot of stuff to do there, I know this because I used to live there for about 5 years
    Really? Thats so awesome and I live in birmingham anyways! My friend said that the uni is good but the city itself is dangerous - is this true?

ReputationRep:
    Well typically you'd want your insurance to be lower than your firm. So choose Brighton. Brighton and Sheffield are both great cities with fantastic nightlife but the safer option would be to choose a BBC insurance offer. It shouldn't matter anyway if you feel confident that you'll get your firm choice of Leeds.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    If you are sure about Leeds as a Firm and you achieve ABB or better you will be going to Leeds so Sheffield (AAB) doesn't enter the frame. If you miss ABB and get, say, ABC it's reasonably likely Leeds will still take you, so again Sheffield doesn't matter. If you get BBC neither Leeds nor Sheffield are likely to accept you.

If you are happy with Brighton (BBC) insure them.

Edit to add: (re)visit all 3 and then decide. There's no rush.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks guys Ill check out the link now

Really? Thats so awesome and I live in birmingham anyways! My friend said that the uni is good but the city itself is dangerous - is this true?
    Nope thats not true, I felt safe when I lived there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    If you are sure about Leeds as a Firm and you achieve ABB or better you will be going to Leeds so Sheffield (AAB) doesn't enter the frame. If you miss ABB and get, say, ABC it's reasonably likely Leeds will still take you, so again Sheffield doesn't matter. If you get BBC neither Leeds nor Sheffield are likely to accept you.

If you are happy with Brighton (BBC) insure them.

Edit to add: (re)visit all 3 and then decide. There's no rush.
    There is a rush because of accommodation and I know that the accommodation that I want to apply for in Leeds will easily get oversubscribed what should I do?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    There is a rush because of accommodation and I know that the accommodation that I want to apply for in Leeds will easily get oversubscribed what should I do?
    Accommodation isn't finalised until Results Day.

And Leeds specifically says:
    Accommodation is not allocated on a first come first served basis, so you will not be penalised by this delay, as long as you apply by the deadlines.
    https://accommodation.leeds.ac.ukv/i...ines_and_apply

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.