Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Amplitude modulation graph sketching help need watch

ReputationRep:
    question:
    Draw an amplitude modulated wave with a carrier wave frequency 1.0MHz and a signal frequency of 100kHz. The time axis on your graph should be from 0 to 10 mili seconds. On your graph mark time for one complete wave of signal and for one complete wave of carrier.

How would i draw this graph? the time period for Carrier i calculated is 10^-6 and signal its 10^-5 seconds
    but the amplitude modulated wave would have which time period? and will it look like/.

ReputationRep:
    Draw your carrier wave then using the period you calculated for it.

Then inside that 'envelope' draw another wave 10 times the frequency, ie with the period you calculated for the carrier.

It'll look something like this but made to fit your frequencies. https://www.tutorialspoint.com/analo...lated_wave.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phys981)
    Draw your carrier wave then using the period you calculated for it.

Then inside that 'envelope' draw another wave 10 times the frequency, ie with the period you calculated for the carrier.

It'll look something like this but made to fit your frequencies. https://www.tutorialspoint.com/analo...lated_wave.jpg
    So if we consider a graph from 0 to 10mili seconds the carrier wave would just be a cosx graph and then ill just have to put 10 more waves inside it?

ReputationRep:
    TBH I don't think it matters whether you make it sin or cos, but yes, one full period (which will mean two 'bumps') and 10 little waves inside it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phys981)
    TBH I don't think it matters whether you make it sin or cos, but yes, one full period (which will mean two 'bumps' and 10 little waves inside it.
    Thank you, one last question. Is it 10 little waves because the time period of the signal is 10 times greater than the time period of carrier.

ReputationRep:
    yes, so if I'm picturing this correctly you'll have 5 FULL little waves in each of the 'bumps'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.