Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about what to put down on my student finance application at the point where it asks me whether I have lived outside the UK in the past 3 years.

I have been travelling and working in Asia over the past two and a half years (basically an extended gap year) however I have maintained ordinary residence in the UK through the entire time I have been away, and have returned to the UK on a couple of occasions. I also plan on staying in the UK after my course has finished. Because of this I should still be eligible for student loans, as my home address was always in the UK and I never had permanent residency anywhere else (only temporary working visas). If required, I can prove this with letters addressed to my UK address (bank statements, etc.) and copies of my visas and contracts.

I am therefore unsure whether to put ‘yes’ or ‘no’ for the ‘have you lived abroad?’ question as I haven’t been physically in the country, but I have been a resident of the UK. The question specifies that temporary stays abroad (e.g. holidays) don’t count. This was not a holiday, but it was most definitely a temporary stay abroad. The application doesn’t specify any time limits on how long these temporary stays can be.

Any advice anyone has would be appreciated! I’ve done my research and it looks as though I definitely qualify for loans, due to maintaining my ordinary residence in the UK, but I’m just a little unsure about how to answer the question on the application. Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by cbjon)
    I have a question about what to put down on my student finance application at the point where it asks me whether I have lived outside the UK in the past 3 years.

I have been travelling and working in Asia over the past two and a half years (basically an extended gap year) however I have maintained ordinary residence in the UK through the entire time I have been away, and have returned to the UK on a couple of occasions. I also plan on staying in the UK after my course has finished. Because of this I should still be eligible for student loans, as my home address was always in the UK and I never had permanent residency anywhere else (only temporary working visas). If required, I can prove this with letters addressed to my UK address (bank statements, etc.) and copies of my visas and contracts.

I am therefore unsure whether to put ‘yes’ or ‘no’ for the ‘have you lived abroad?’ question as I haven’t been physically in the country, but I have been a resident of the UK. The question specifies that temporary stays abroad (e.g. holidays) don’t count. This was not a holiday, but it was most definitely a temporary stay abroad. The application doesn’t specify any time limits on how long these temporary stays can be.

Any advice anyone has would be appreciated! I’ve done my research and it looks as though I definitely qualify for loans, due to maintaining my ordinary residence in the UK, but I’m just a little unsure about how to answer the question on the application. Thank you!
    Hi cbjon,

On the question 'have you lived outside the UK' you will say yes and that you were on a temporary break, we will ask for evidence of this.

What could be classed as a temporary break?
    • Gap Year
    • Holiday
    • Voluntary Work overseas
    • Working for HM Armed Forces
    • Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment
    What would not be classed as a temporary break?
    • People who emigrate to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland
    • People who are unable to satisfy SFE that their break was of a temporary nature
    • People who have exercised their right to roam elsewhere in the EU/EEA and will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of their course
    Acceptable Evidence
    • A letter from HEI confirming gap year
    • A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates
    • A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature
    • A letter from HM armed services if applicable
    • Temporary visas or work permits

Thanks

Catherine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine SFE)
    Hi cbjon,

On the question 'have you lived outside the UK' you will say yes and that you were on a temporary break, we will ask for evidence of this.

What could be classed as a temporary break?
    • Gap Year
    • Holiday
    • Voluntary Work overseas
    • Working for HM Armed Forces
    • Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment

What would not be classed as a temporary break?
    • People who emigrate to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland
    • People who are unable to satisfy SFE that their break was of a temporary nature
    • People who have exercised their right to roam elsewhere in the EU/EEA and will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of their course

Acceptable Evidence
    • A letter from HEI confirming gap year
    • A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates
    • A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature
    • A letter from HM armed services if applicable
    • Temporary visas or work permits

Thanks

Catherine
    Thank you so much for your help!

One quick question- as far as you are aware, would a copy of my work permit (valid for only two years) usually be sufficient evidence? Or should I also try to get a letter from my employer confirming the dates of my contract? I do have a copy of the contract, but I don’t believe it’s clear enough that the contract is temporary by reading it (there are a few issues with language barriers so my contract isn’t written very clearly and there is a lot of excess information within the contract that is irrelevant to the terms of my employment and the work visa I am on).
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by cbjon)
    Thank you so much for your help!

One quick question- as far as you are aware, would a copy of my work permit (valid for only two years) usually be sufficient evidence? Or should I also try to get a letter from my employer confirming the dates of my contract? I do have a copy of the contract, but I don’t believe it’s clear enough that the contract is temporary by reading it (there are a few issues with language barriers so my contract isn’t written very clearly and there is a lot of excess information within the contract that is irrelevant to the terms of my employment and the work visa I am on).
    Hi cbjon,

Yes your work permit is on the list as acceptable evidence, if you can also sent your contact of employment this will also strengthen your case.

Thanks

Catherine

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.