Turn on thread page Beta

How hard is it to find a job while being a student? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was calculating my budget for living at university and Im in debt by a few thousand pounds lmao
    Did you get a job while studying at uni? If so, how much was the salary and what job was it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Everyone I know who has wanted a job at university has been able to get one.

Most will pay between minimum wage and living wage. In general it's best to go for jobs at the university or at large chains as these will pay the best, though waiting at the right restaurants can also pay well once you add tips, I've seen a few people making £15-20 per hour that way.

I'd recommend trying to get a job at home and paying off your debt that way before you go/return to uni though.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I've found that everyone who wants a part-time job, has been able to find one at University.

On-campus jobs are the best, but retail or hospitality industry jobs around the University area also have lots of opportunity. I think on-campus jobs are the best, as long commuting times can be a hassle and really start to suck time away from coursework.

I would also take a second look at your budgeting to ensure you're living within reasonable means!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gigi77774)
    I was calculating my budget for living at university and Im in debt by a few thousand pounds lmao
    Did you get a job while studying at uni? If so, how much was the salary and what job was it?
    Some universities have student bars/shops that employ their own students, so that's something to look into.

In my current university city it's quite challenging to find part-time work, but that's mainly because 1) the student population is huge compared to the amount of jobs available in such a tiny place, and 2) almost all jobs require you to be bilingual Welsh/English. The strictness of this requirement probably varies by where in Wales you study though (and obviously isn't an issue if you study elsewhere in the UK).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm currently a first year student and I've been trying to get a part time job since September. Every single job I apply for I get turned down because of availability.. it's really demotivating me and I need to get £600 by July to pay for my summer rent for the house I'm getting and at this stage it's just not gonna happen.

I genuinely am struggling to say the least. I've applied for McDonald's, KFC, GAME, Primark etc. The university only hires second years and above and their job shop hasn't gotten back to me about any of their summer jobs.. genuinely not sure what to do now.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttski)
    I'm currently a first year student and I've been trying to get a part time job since September. Every single job I apply for I get turned down because of availability.. it's really demotivating me and I need to get £600 by July to pay for my summer rent for the house I'm getting and at this stage it's just not gonna happen.

I genuinely am struggling to say the least. I've applied for McDonald's, KFC, GAME, Primark etc. The university only hires second years and above and their job shop hasn't gotten back to me about any of their summer jobs.. genuinely not sure what to do now.
    What uni do you go to?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.