Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heyy,
    I've got an unconditional for Reading Uni and am looking into accommodation right now🙌
    I was just wondering which accommodation is best for freshers?
    I'm looking for self catered and preferably standard en-suit rooms (possibly premium, but they're v expensive and who knows how I would afford that, and also possibly shared bathroom but as a last resort 😅) (also, preferably in Park group) (sorry to be picky lmao)
    I'm just worried I'll accidentally pick one that is mainly for post-graduates 😅

Thank you for your help 🌟
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Abi Manning)
    Heyy,
    I've got an unconditional for Reading Uni and am looking into accommodation right now🙌
    I was just wondering which accommodation is best for freshers?
    I'm looking for self catered and preferably standard en-suit rooms (possibly premium, but they're v expensive and who knows how I would afford that, and also possibly shared bathroom but as a last resort 😅) (also, preferably in Park group) (sorry to be picky lmao)
    I'm just worried I'll accidentally pick one that is mainly for post-graduates 😅

Thank you for your help 🌟
    Hi!

Congratulations on the offer- you must be really happy!

Personally, I stayed in Bridges hall and had a premium room with a shared bathroom and the experience of sharing wasn't bad at all!
    There was 9 of us sharing 3 bathrooms so there was always one free and they were modern too which was good!

Bridges isn't in Park Group, but is still an option as you get to pick 5 choices when you put down your accommodation choices.

There are post-graduate specific blocks within the halls so don't worry about being put with post grads. The accommodation team are normally pretty good at putting freshers together.

Perhaps look at Greenow and McCombie Halls as they are modern rooms with en-suite, and near to Park Bar!

Here is the link so you can find all the information about the hall:
    http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...-mccombie.aspx

Hope this helped!
    Any further questions feel free to ask!

Sophie
    Final Year Philosophy student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniofReading)
    Hi!

Congratulations on the offer- you must be really happy!

Personally, I stayed in Bridges hall and had a premium room with a shared bathroom and the experience of sharing wasn't bad at all!
    There was 9 of us sharing 3 bathrooms so there was always one free and they were modern too which was good!

Bridges isn't in Park Group, but is still an option as you get to pick 5 choices when you put down your accommodation choices.

There are post-graduate specific blocks within the halls so don't worry about being put with post grads. The accommodation team are normally pretty good at putting freshers together.

Perhaps look at Greenow and McCombie Halls as they are modern rooms with en-suite, and in Park Bar!

Here is the link so you can find all the information about the hall:
    http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...-mccombie.aspx

Hope this helped!

Sophie
    Ahh thank you, that's perfect 😊 is there any difference between Greenow and McCombie at all?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Ahh thank you, that's perfect 😊 is there any difference between Greenow and McCombie at all?
    Hi

I don't think there's many differences as they are both en suite rooms with a single bed.

On the link I sent you, you can see the floor plan and see what sort of size the rooms are and how they include a good desk space with storage.

Even if you look at Benyon Hall, which is just off campus you can see that the style of the room is pretty similar to Greenow and McCombie. If en-suite is what you are looking for, then most of the rooms in the halls will look similar.

Hope this helped,

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I don't think there's many differences as they are both en suite rooms with a single bed.

On the link I sent you, you can see the floor plan and see what sort of size the rooms are and how they include a good desk space with storage.

Even if you look at Benyon Hall, which is just off campus you can see that the style of the room is pretty similar to Greenow and McCombie. If en-suite is what you are looking for, then most of the rooms in the halls will look similar.

Hope this helped,

Sophie
    Ooh thank you, I'll have a look through the link ☺️ sorry but another question, basically I've heard there are a lot of post-graduates and international students in Greenow and McCoombie, do you know if that's true? Because I've heard good things about wessex halls and I'm kind of considering there now lmao, can't make up my mind 😅
    Thank youu
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Ooh thank you, I'll have a look through the link ☺️ sorry but another question, basically I've heard there are a lot of post-graduates and international students in Greenow and McCoombie, do you know if that's true? Because I've heard good things about wessex halls and I'm kind of considering there now lmao, can't make up my mind 😅
    Thank youu
    Hello

Glad we could help you, and do take a look at the accommodation website as it contains so good information!

So you are partly right, as Greenow and McCombie are two separate halls, made up of Greenow house (which has lot of postgraduate rooms) and McCombie which is mainly for undergraduate and international students. I actually went to McCombie on the weekend and it's actually a really lovely standard en-suite hall.

So generally, the McCombie hall is for the undergraduate students, but the accommodation team always make sure you get a good mix of students, so won't be putting all postgraduate students with one undergraduate if you know what I mean! As it isn't fair on either of you as you have different lifestyles! https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...-mccombie.aspx

Wessex hall is also great, one of the cheapest and known as a really sociable hall! You share your bathroom and kitchen with a few more people than in the other halls but it really doesn't matter as people don't seem to have a problem with this (and your bathroom will get cleaned each week as it is a communal area!)

Hope this helps and any other questions please do let us know!

Alice
    Food Science Placement Student

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Glad we could help you, and do take a look at the accommodation website as it contains so good information!

So you are partly right, as Greenow and McCombie are two separate halls, made up of Greenow house (which has lot of postgraduate rooms) and McCombie which is mainly for undergraduate and international students. I actually went to McCombie on the weekend and it's actually a really lovely standard en-suite hall.

So generally, the McCombie hall is for the undergraduate students, but the accommodation team always make sure you get a good mix of students, so won't be putting all postgraduate students with one undergraduate if you know what I mean! As it isn't fair on either of you as you have different lifestyles! https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-s...-mccombie.aspx

Wessex hall is also great, one of the cheapest and known as a really sociable hall! You share your bathroom and kitchen with a few more people than in the other halls but it really doesn't matter as people don't seem to have a problem with this (and your bathroom will get cleaned each week as it is a communal area!)

Hope this helps and any other questions please do let us know!

Alice
    Food Science Placement Student
    Okay that was all my questions, thank youuu everyone has helped so much, I've decided I'm going to go for Wessex! Thank you for all your help, it was very much needed!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Okay that was all my questions, thank youuu everyone has helped so much, I've decided I'm going to go for Wessex! Thank you for all your help, it was very much needed!
    No problems at all - good choice with Wessex, saving money and still really good accommodation!

Glad we could help and if you think of anymore questions don't hesitate to ask us!

Good luck with your exams this summer

Alice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 21, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.