Turn on thread page Beta

What car to buy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What is your budget? (Insurance and Tax included)
    7,000 euros (10-12k NZD)

Are you a new driver?
    No

How old are you?
    17 (I've been doing a lot of track)

What is going to be the main use of the car?
    Daily driving, Mostly short distance

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
    I dont mind

Specific tasks you will be doing?
    Track days

Any brands you would prefer?
    None

Any brands you dislike?
    Toyota Prius (Not a brand but still)

What features in the car are important to you?
    Not breaking down ever 10kms

What gearbox do you want?
    Manual

Are aesthetics of the car important?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Given your age, it kinda rules out quite a few track suitable bargains in that price bracket such as a used 350z. I think for the age if you want to go on the track from time to time the mx5 might be your best bet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    Given your age, it kinda rules out quite a few track suitable bargains in that price bracket such as a used 350z. I think for the age if you want to go on the track from time to time the mx5 might be your best bet
    Thanks for the reply, I would take the mx5 except I'm not a huge fan of smaller cars like that, I might just have to save up a bit more money :/

ReputationRep:
    You're 17, which means you won't have held a full license for more than a year so yeah from a DVLA and Insurance perspective - you are a new driver. Anyway yeah couldn't imagine anyone taking a Prius to a track lol.

An ST is a good balance for both track and day-to-day running, or the Clio RS. With your budget though it'll be hard to get the car AND insure it, I mean an ST170 in good condition is still like £2-3k,and it'd cost you that same amount for the insurance if not way more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nevershear)
    You're 17, which means you won't have held a full license for more than a new so yeah from a DVLA and Insurance perspective - you are a new driver. Anyway yeah couldn't imagine anyone taking a Prius to a track lol.

An ST is a good balance for both track and day-to-day running, or the Clio RS. With your budget though it'll be hard to get the car AND insure it, I mean an ST170 in good condition is still like £2-3k,and it'd cost you that same amount for the insurance if not way more.
    I was thinking the same. Not a new driver at 17? hahaha

ReputationRep:
    You're 17, which means you won't have held a full license for more than a year so yeah from a DVLA and Insurance perspective - you are a new driver. Anyway yeah couldn't imagine anyone taking a Prius to a track lol.

Cheers, never even thought about the fords, pretty good balance between racing and daily livability.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I agree.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.