Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Leaving university and rejoining later watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if some of these questions seem a bit silly, I'm just currently trying to gather all of the information and advice that I can. Also if this is in the wrong place, I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for where to post this.

So I am currently in the second semester of my first year of university, but I am considering leaving and working for a few years due to financial difficulties. I am 18 years old and would probably delay reapplying until I would be at least 21 before the course starts in September.

1) I am an RUK student studying in Scotland. If I remain in Scotland after leaving university and then work for a few years, would I qualify for SAAS funding when I reapply later down the line? Providing I remain in Scotland for HE, that is.

2) I received AAB in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, and Physics at A Level. If I take distance learning courses in Chemistry and Biology A Level whilst in full time work, as well as the necessary work experience, would my application as a mature student be considered seriously for courses such as Veterinary Medicine at Edinburgh or Glasgow? Or would I need to have completed 3 A Levels in one sitting?

3) related to point 1, if I would be eligible for SAAS support after working in Scotland for a few years, would the same be true if I did an apprenticeship? I understand they can be a bit sticky with your reasons for living in Scotland.

Please let me know if you need any further information, I'd be grateful for any advice you could provide me with.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Watermelon1324)
    Sorry if some of these questions seem a bit silly, I'm just currently trying to gather all of the information and advice that I can. Also if this is in the wrong place, I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction for where to post this.

So I am currently in the second semester of my first year of university, but I am considering leaving and working for a few years due to financial difficulties. I am 18 years old and would probably delay reapplying until I would be at least 21 before the course starts in September.

1) I am an RUK student studying in Scotland. If I remain in Scotland after leaving university and then work for a few years, would I qualify for SAAS funding when I reapply later down the line? Providing I remain in Scotland for HE, that is.

2) I received AAB in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, and Physics at A Level. If I take distance learning courses in Chemistry and Biology A Level whilst in full time work, as well as the necessary work experience, would my application as a mature student be considered seriously for courses such as Veterinary Medicine at Edinburgh or Glasgow? Or would I need to have completed 3 A Levels in one sitting?

3) related to point 1, if I would be eligible for SAAS support after working in Scotland for a few years, would the same be true if I did an apprenticeship? I understand they can be a bit sticky with your reasons for living in Scotland.

Please let me know if you need any further information, I'd be grateful for any advice you could provide me with.
    Am only attempting this as I dont know the definitive answers.

1. Unsure about transfer between funding agencies. But you would need to prove three years residence for non educational reasons. that might get you viewed as a Scottish applicant. It has to be reasons not due to education so you may find that difficult to prove. Talk to SAAS.

2. You have to contact them. I will see if I can see if they have the one sitting limitation, but its something you can verify from their website r contacting these unis yourself.

Edin says nothing about 2 years
    https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...view&code=D100
    Glasgow says nothing, but verify
    https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/...edicine/#tab=1

3. You have to get confirmation from SAAS or look at the detailed rules. their website an literature is poor. The link is whether they consider your residence to be for a reason other than education.

I can see they can make a case saying the only reason for being there is for education.

If you are offered a place, then ofc you can still be funded by SFE.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.