Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it wrong for a 16 year old to be dating a 25 year old? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've never really liked guys my own age and I only used 25 as an example age because I don't currently like anyone but If i was to get in a relationship with someone around that age group, would it be wrong? And how much could you do before it became illegal?

ReputationRep:
    Just another thread on TSR...

If it was a 16 year old female dating a 25 year old man, people would be disgusted to hear that.

If it was a 16 year old male dating a 25 year old woman, people would cheer him on.

I'm male by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc30)
    Nothing wrong with dating someone older than yourself.

I am 37 year old if u are interested in getting to know each other
    The Student thread is not Tinder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmbooXx)
    I've never really liked guys my own age and I only used 25 as an example age because I don't currently like anyone but If i was to get in a relationship with someone around that age group, would it be wrong? And how much could you do before it became illegal?
    Oh god, I’m the same. I’m 16 and I can’t help but like guys older than me. Just don’t get caught and be careful, haha.

ReputationRep:

oh Marc :laugh:
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    In so may ways imaginable- thats my answer to your thread title

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is.

You've got issues

ReputationRep:
    If a 16 year old hit on me (24 year old master race here), I'd probably tell her I'd inform their parents. *vomits*.

Kids are cray cray these days.

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely not illegal, in the UK 16 is the age of sexual consent unless the older person is in a position of trust (teacher, mentor, guardian). On the other hand it is not very typical (not meaning it is wrong in any form), and I can see there are some problems in terms of differing developmental stage and position in life which might make for an unbalanced relationship.
    You can do anything you want in sexual terms EXCEPT filming or photographing sexual activity, which is illegal for any individual under the age of 18.

https://www.fpa.org.uk/factsheets/law-on-sex

ReputationRep:

Haha I would but I'm 15, I was just asking in advance, but if u still want to talk im down ☺

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jupi6ter)
    Oh god, I’m the same. I’m 16 and I can’t help but like guys older than me. Just don’t get caught and be careful, haha.
    Finally someone understands 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tremen222)
    It is definitely not illegal, in the UK 16 is the age of sexual consent unless the older person is in a position of trust (teacher, mentor, guardian). On the other hand it is not very typical (not meaning it is wrong in any form), and I can see there are some problems in terms of differing developmental stage and position in life which might make for an unbalanced relationship.
    You can do anything you want in sexual terms EXCEPT filming or photographing sexual activity, which is illegal for any individual under the age of 18.

https://www.fpa.org.uk/factsheets/law-on-sex
    Thankyou that helped a lot 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    The Student thread is not Tinder.
    You'd be surprised
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It would be perfectly legal, but I would definitely question the motives of any 25 year old who wanted to date a 16 year old. A large age difference matters more when you're very young, because the older partner will have significantly more life experience than the younger one, which makes it much easier for a power imbalance to emerge, where the older partner becomes manipulative or controlling and the younger partner doesn't recognise the red flags.

It's not illegal, but it's a social taboo. And you're probably more attracted to the idea of dating somebody you think is more mature and not in your age grup, rather than the reality of it. If you like a guy that's older than you, whatever. Any guy who would reciprocate any feelings is probably worth avoiding and (i.e. is a sexual predator) are unlikely to live up to your expectations anyway. Especially at your age, you're obsessed with maturity and not belonging with your own age group, don't get ahead of yourself.

(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
    Kids are cray cray these days.
    It was more common in the past than it is now. Far more common. It's mostly in the last 20-30 years that age gaps have become increasingly taboo because of more awareness of grooming, manipulation, power and other issues that come with them. Even relatively small age gaps between adults of say, 18-22 years are looked down upon more and more as time goes on. Girls were throwing themselves at The Beetles the same way they'd have thrown themselves as 5ive, N-Sync and more recently, One Direction or Justin Bieber.

Teenagers will always try their luck with adults they admire. Adults are, more than ever, expected to know better and should stay away, even if it's legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    You'd be surprised
    Haha 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmbooXx)
    I'm the same. Never liked guys my own age. Nothing wrong so long as you both understand the age gap and don't let him push you

ReputationRep:
    legally it isnt wrong
    morally it is questionable

Once dated someone 23 years older than myself...

Go for it \o/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.