Turn on thread page Beta

Is it wrong for a 16 year old to be dating a 25 year old? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Once dated someone 23 years older than myself...

Go for it \o/
    Ok, but how old were you at the time?

ReputationRep:
    I would say, because you’re under 18, there should be at the most a 5 year gap.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's not illegal, but it's a social taboo. And you're probably more attracted to the idea of dating somebody you think is more mature and not in your age grup, rather than the reality of it. If you like a guy that's older than you, whatever. Any guy who would reciprocate any feelings is probably worth avoiding and (i.e. is a sexual predator) are unlikely to live up to your expectations anyway. Especially at your age, you're obsessed with maturity and not belonging with your own age group, don't get ahead of yourself.

It was more common in the past than it is now. Far more common. It's mostly in the last 20-30 years that age gaps have become increasingly taboo because of more awareness of grooming, manipulation, power and other issues that come with them. Even relatively small age gaps between adults of say, 18-22 years are looked down upon more and more as time goes on. Girls were throwing themselves at The Beetles the same way they'd have thrown themselves as 5ive, N-Sync and more recently, One Direction or Justin Bieber.

Teenagers will always try their luck with adults they admire. Adults are, more than ever, expected to know better and should stay away, even if it's legal.
    I was merely making fun of old people who constantly moan about how "kids these days" are "X" (where X is always something negative).

I failed, evidently.

ReputationRep:
    Once dated someone 23 years older than myself...

Go for it \o/
    When you were a newborn baby, they were 22/23......

(Original post by Drewski)
    Ok, but how old were you at the time?
    Pfft, probably about 14? Been so long I don't exactly remember bud.

(Original post by Jheinexx)
    When you were a newborn baby, they were 22/23......
    Haha no, that would've been even more odd. I was probably about 13/14?

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, probably about 14? Been so long I don't exactly remember bud.
    Going out with a 37 year old?

That's not a relationship, that's grooming.

ReputationRep:
    Just because something is legal doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Going out with a 37 year old?

That's not a relationship, that's grooming.
    Yes! I don’t get how this is normal

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with dating someone older than yourself

(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
    I was merely making fun of old people who constantly moan about how "kids these days" are "X" (where X is always something negative).

I failed, evidently.
    My mistake for misunderstanding you.

ReputationRep:
    No just no

ReputationRep:
    You could but why on earth would any 25 year old want to?

A 13/14 year old with a 37 year old is repulsive.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just gonna avoid dating until I'm around that age then I'll actually be attracted to them, I think the main reason I like people that age is because ivery been depressed bullied harassed everything you could possibly think of from people my own age and sometimes it got too much so is prefer too only make contact with people older than me because they are more mature and very rarely act immature or cruel
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by EmbooXx)
    I've never really liked guys my own age and I only used 25 as an example age because I don't currently like anyone but If i was to get in a relationship with someone around that age group, would it be wrong? And how much could you do before it became illegal?
    16 and 25 is pushing the limit of what I think is acceptable tbh. If you were 18 I think it wouldn't be much of a problem.

(Original post by EmbooXx)
    it got too much so is prefer too only make contact with people older than me because they are more mature and very rarely act immature or cruel
    Trust me, people in their 20s, 30s, 40s and even older don't change and mature that much. Adults can be worse because you become more stubborn and adamant about being right.

ReputationRep:
    I guess so, yeah it’s wrong

ReputationRep:
    Not illegal but definitely dubious. Why would a 25 year old want to go out with a kid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdulmonem)
    Nothing wrong with dating someone older than yourself
    Even if one is a child and the other an adult?

ReputationRep:
    Ten years difference isn't awful but 16 is very young compared to 26.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.