Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding that a few of my resources display this equation differently. My revision books and some BBC bitesize pages say potential difference = (current)^2 x resistance, but others say that you don't need to square the current? Anyone know which one is correct? Does it matter? Why are there two different equations?

Any help really appreciated
    Thanks, Rachael

ReputationRep:
    not sure why there are 2 but V=IR is the right one where v is pd, i is current and r is resitance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdexcite)
    I'm finding that a few of my resources display this equation differently. My revision books and some BBC bitesize pages say potential difference = (current)^2 x resistance, but others say that you don't need to square the current? Anyone know which one is correct? Does it matter? Why are there two different equations?

Thanks, Rachael
    it should be Power = I2 R
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/standa...ce/revision/2/

which page are you looking at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdexcite)

Thanks, Rachael
    It's just V=IR for V (potential diff.), I (current) and R (resistance)

Maybe the source got mixed up with a form of the Power equation P=(I^2)R . This comes from P=IV then subbing in IR for V

ReputationRep:
    oh i got it!! the I squared times R is for power.
    P=IV (1)
    V=IR (2)
    sub (2) into (1)
    P= I * IR
    P=I2R

ReputationRep:
    OMG I totally just mixed up the equations for power and potential difference in my head. Thanks for helping me realise I'm a doofus... maybe time for a break

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 17, 2018

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.