Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    a bit less than 1y ago, I was sharing a house through a join contract. In the house we were 4 students and 2 non-students. Both of the two non-students therefore had to pay the council tax. One didn't (she didn't pay a lot of things!) and now the council continues sending letters to the other non-student to ask him to pay the second part of the tax. they add fines gradually as nobody pays.
    Is there a way to make this girl pay and ask to the council to stop harrassing the one who paid? He explained the situation to the council, showed the receipt proving he paid his part but they keep asking him to pay the rest. They argue that they don't have the address of the other girl.

    (Original post by Anonymous)
    They argue that they don't have the address of the other girl.
    Then one of you should tell them her address. The other poor chap is liable as the non-student occupiers are held to be jointly and severally liable to pay, which means that the council can come after any one of them for the whole amount if one or more do not pay.

    Someone needs to dob her in.
    • #2

    Council tax isn't per person it is calculated on the property and so if there is one person working in the property then the council tax minus 25% discount has to be paid. There isn't a 'second part' of the council tax, the splitting of the council tax bill was a private agreement between the two working people. The person left paying the bill has to go after the amount from the other person not the council.
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.