Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi guys,

I drove past the traffic lights when it was on amber and was wondering whether I would get any points/ fine for doing so? i have only been driving a couple of months and didn't mean to. I am normally a very cautious driver and drive through the same route 3 times a week.

Also can anyone tell me are the small grey/white rectangular cameras on top of traffic lights speed cameras? Can they be used as evidence of me crossing the amber light?

I am so anxious/ scared of the thought that I may get a fine/ points when I have been driving under 2 years. Any ideas would be great!

Many Thanks!!!
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Yep you are definetly going jail for that
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Lots of people go through amber - if you go through a red then that's different.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Moved to Cars and motoring.

(Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    Yep you are definetly going jail for that
    Pretty sure that wouldn't be the case even if it was a red light? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    There's no offence for running an amber light... At most you might get pulled by a copper (On the off chance that there's actually one driving behind you) who'll use it as an excuse for a routine stop to check if you can legally drive and whatnot.

As for red light cameras, most of the time they look exactly like speed cameras because they also generally act as speed cameras (deters people from speeding up on amber and jumping the red light). I don't mean the smaller SPECS cameras either, I'm talking about the big chunky, can't miss the f*ckers cameras. You might come across the odd red light camera that only monitors red light jumpers, in which case, they'll look like your normal, big, f*ck off speed cameras, but they'll likely be grey rather than yellow.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah bud that's 20 points and an unlimited fine + 6 year ban.

Driving through amber is fine, if it hits amber and you won't cross it before it goes red, then you start slowing down, if you will - keep going, else you're really going to annoy people as the person behind you is likely going to be prepared to be the last one through and thus will be getting ready to stop on the line.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

I drove past the traffic lights when it was on amber and was wondering whether I would get any points/ fine for doing so? i have only been driving a couple of months and didn't mean to. I am normally a very cautious driver and drive through the same route 3 times a week.

Also can anyone tell me are the small grey/white rectangular cameras on top of traffic lights speed cameras? Can they be used as evidence of me crossing the amber light?

I am so anxious/ scared of the thought that I may get a fine/ points when I have been driving under 2 years. Any ideas would be great!

Many Thanks!!!
    Driving through an amber is fine, don't worry about it. Driving through a red is when you have to worry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm inclined to call troll... if not the OP should be spending a couple of solid days with the Highway Code to make up for apparently having gained a licence without learning the significance of an amber light...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    turn yourself in already. It’s done boyo

ReputationRep:
    Ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

Boxes on top of the traffic lights are probably traffic of pedestrian sensors for the light control system.

traffic light cameras are set back from the junction so they can film you driving over the white line while a red light is showing.
    e.g.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine, it’s only red that gets you booked
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Life sentence in prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    turn yourself in already. It’s done boyo
    I think he should go on the run. Otherwise it’s the death penalty for him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.