Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys,

I drove past the traffic lights when it was on amber and was wondering whether I would get any points/ fine for doing so? i have only been driving a couple of months and didn't mean to. I am normally a very cautious driver and drive through the same route 3 times a week.

Also can anyone tell me are the small grey/white rectangular cameras on top of traffic lights speed cameras? Can they be used as evidence of me crossing the amber light?

I am so anxious/ scared of the thought that I may get a fine/ points when I have been driving under 2 years. Any ideas would be great!

Many Thanks!!!
kingpin x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yep you are definetly going jail for that
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lots of people go through amber - if you go through a red then that's different.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Cars and motoring.

(Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
Yep you are definetly going jail for that
Pretty sure that wouldn't be the case even if it was a red light? :erm:
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's no offence for running an amber light... At most you might get pulled by a copper (On the off chance that there's actually one driving behind you) who'll use it as an excuse for a routine stop to check if you can legally drive and whatnot.

As for red light cameras, most of the time they look exactly like speed cameras because they also generally act as speed cameras (deters people from speeding up on amber and jumping the red light). I don't mean the smaller SPECS cameras either, I'm talking about the big chunky, can't miss the f*ckers cameras. You might come across the odd red light camera that only monitors red light jumpers, in which case, they'll look like your normal, big, f*ck off speed cameras, but they'll likely be grey rather than yellow.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah bud that's 20 points and an unlimited fine + 6 year ban.

Driving through amber is fine, if it hits amber and you won't cross it before it goes red, then you start slowing down, if you will - keep going, else you're really going to annoy people as the person behind you is likely going to be prepared to be the last one through and thus will be getting ready to stop on the line.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys,

I drove past the traffic lights when it was on amber and was wondering whether I would get any points/ fine for doing so? i have only been driving a couple of months and didn't mean to. I am normally a very cautious driver and drive through the same route 3 times a week.

Also can anyone tell me are the small grey/white rectangular cameras on top of traffic lights speed cameras? Can they be used as evidence of me crossing the amber light?

I am so anxious/ scared of the thought that I may get a fine/ points when I have been driving under 2 years. Any ideas would be great!

Many Thanks!!!
Driving through an amber is fine, don't worry about it. Driving through a red is when you have to worry.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm inclined to call troll... if not the OP should be spending a couple of solid days with the Highway Code to make up for apparently having gained a licence without learning the significance of an amber light...
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ffs
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys,

Boxes on top of the traffic lights are probably traffic of pedestrian sensors for the light control system.

traffic light cameras are set back from the junction so they can film you driving over the white line while a red light is showing.
e.g.
bendent1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should be fine, it’s only red that gets you booked
accountant-future
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Life sentence in prison.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think he should go on the run. Otherwise it’s the death penalty for him.
ElpolloLoco
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What if you start moving off when the lights turn red/amber and there is a traffic light camera?
Last edited by ElpolloLoco; 2 months ago
TheDE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Use your judgement to be able to tell if you would pass through in time. If you have time to stop then always stop.
ElpolloLoco
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I mean when moving off after waiting at the red lights for a while and then turning red/amber instead of solid green?
ElpolloLoco
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by TheDE)
Use your judgement to be able to tell if you would pass through in time. If you have time to stop then always stop.
So basically moving off too early
Torigracex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ElpolloLoco)
What if you start moving off when the lights turn red/amber and there is a traffic light camera?
As far as the Highway Code is concerned, you’re still meant to stay stationary when the lights are red and amber. Traffic light cameras only switch on when the red light is turned on, I’m not sure whether they stay active when the red and amber lights are both on, but I would assume so
ElpolloLoco
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for your reply, I’m screwed then 😪
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads