Turn on thread page Beta

Background noise when studying - what works for you? watch

ReputationRep:
    So this afternoon I'm working on an assignment resubmission. I have another 10 days to get it submitted but aiming to basically get it done today so I have a bit of time to get it proof read and make sure I'm completely happy with it.

I've got the Winter Olympics on the TV as a bit of background noise, but have got myself distracted a few times already... yes Lizzy Yarnold and Laura Deas!!!.... (sorry for lack of spoiler alert!)... so I'm wondering what your choice of background noise is.

Do you have music on with lyrics? Instrumental music? Something else....?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Try music with lyrics, so you can mouth the words and helps you to focus at the same time or you could try instrumental music- peaceful, helps you to focus also
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jmackfall)
    So this afternoon I'm working on an assignment resubmission. I have another 10 days to get it submitted but aiming to basically get it done today so I have a bit of time to get it proof read and make sure I'm completely happy with it.

I've got the Winter Olympics on the TV as a bit of background noise, but have got myself distracted a few times already... yes Lizzy Yarnold and Laura Deas!!!.... (sorry for lack of spoiler alert!)... so I'm wondering what your choice of background noise is.

A documentary or Radio 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    Try music with lyrics, so you can mouth the words and helps you to focus at the same time or you could try instrumental music- peaceful, helps you to focus also
    I've done this before. I was trying to think of the way I wanted to word a sentence, and ended up typing a couple of words from Ed Sheeran before I realised what I'd done...!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've done this before. I was trying to think of the way I wanted to word a sentence, and ended up typing a couple of words from Ed Sheeran before I realised what I'd done...!
    Lol Try music without no lyrics then
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I prefer either silence for working so no background noise or instrumental music, usually piano. Anything with lyrics or anything that's too complicated just distracts me

ReputationRep:
    Back when I used to study I used to listen to acoustic versions of pop songs. I found that listening to the originals were too full on - but the acoustics were a little slower and calmer with less going on. Really helped me concentrate

ReputationRep:
    I normally listen to contemporary jazz. However I will admit I sometimes get caught up in the music, but hey, that's not always a bad thing. Also a bit of cheeky choral music if I'm in the mood
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A friend told me to listen to a type of instrumental music called 'The river flows in you' and its beautiful, like it really does help. When you type that song in, type in 1 hour loop next to it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordon1703)
    Back when I used to study I used to listen to acoustic versions of pop songs. I found that listening to the originals were too full on - but the acoustics were a little slower and calmer with less going on. Really helped me concentrate
    I found a spotify playlist of piano versions of pop songs, which was quite nice because I knew the song but like you say it was calmer.

ReputationRep:
    I found a spotify playlist of piano versions of pop songs, which was quite nice because I knew the song but like you say it was calmer.
    Exactly; I found that if I listened to songs I didn't know, and I really liked them - I'd hype myself up over a good song I'd just discovered. So my playlist worked well for me lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

I prefer piano covers of songs I like, but I can equally work just as well with songs that I've heard lots of times (i.e. unlike the radio where I might of 'ooh what's this song' and try to pay more attention to it).

Spoiler:
    Show

At the minute I have the soundtrack to the Greatest Showman on repeat
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

I am +1 with the talk radio people as its a compromise and lets me study for longer if not quite at the same depth as total silence.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I usually just find a playlist with songs from a genre that I like but haven't listened to and put them on in the background, I don't find that this distracts me, in fact I barely notice if when I'm concentrating. Although relaxing songs and songs without lyrics can be good to use.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.