Turn on thread page Beta

Liking your exes posts watch

Announcements

I never post anything on social media (haven't posted a single pic or status since 2014) so I don't know what is normal and if any of my exes would like my posts.

(don't need to read this bit)
    - One ex broke up with me and I never like his stuff apart from one pic last year cos it was a cool pic and I wanted him to know there were no hard feelings. Since then I haven't liked or commented on anything since because firstly he doesn't post as much any more and secondly I don't want to seem pathetic or him think I want him back.
    - Another ex I broke up with and I only liked one picture, again was a cool pic and thought it'd be a nice thing to do. I haven't liked anything else because I don't want to give the wrong impression and lead him on.
    - I have one ex though that has since become quite famous and I'm really happy for him but I avoid liking his posts because I don't want him to think I'm sucking up to him cos he's famous or trying to get his attention because I still like him (I don't). He also has a new girlfriend now. At the same time I don't want to seem like I'm bitter by not liking his pics. Obviously I don't think he thinks about me but my best friend likes some of his stuff and he associates us together. We also have a lot of mutual friends so still in each others circles. Anyway I've liked one or two things over the years because they were very cool and I am proud of him.

So basically my question is, when an ex likes a picture of yours or a post, what does it make you think? Particularly if you're no longer in contact with them. Do you assume they still like you? Or do you just read it as them being friendly. What do you think their motives are and does it depend on the pic?

Like I said, I don't post anything so I never have these concerns myself, but I don't want my exes to ever get the wrong idea if I like their pic or alternatively think I'm holding a grudge and can't appreciate their successes.

For me personally it depends on the ex. If the first one liked it I would assume that it was friendly seeing as were are kind of friends (I use the term loosely). If it was my last break up I would think that he was into me as he used to use it as a way to get back in my life so who knows. I doubt boys will read as much into it as girls do. Just like the photo if you like it

ReputationRep:
    You're thinking waaaaay too much into it

ReputationRep:
    I hate how people use “likes” as a way of communicating their feelings. If someone likes your post, it should be because they like that specific post.

(Original post by euphrosyne)
    I hate how people use “likes” as a way of communicating their feelings. If someone likes your post, it should be because they like that specific post.
    No I know. But I know some people do read into it so I wouldn't want an ex to read into me liking their stuff. Was wondering if anyone here thinks anything when an ex likes their post. I was thinking about it because one of my friends thought that their ex viewing their snapchat stories was an indicator of them not being over them.

ReputationRep:
    If you're genuinely over them, like whatever you like. If you're not really over them then save the time wasted reading and liking their posts to get out there and find someone you like even better in the real world.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.