Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I’m looking to apply (through Extra) for Criminology at Greenwich Uni. It’s in the location I want to be in, the course modules suit me and the campus looks attractive, especially the new student hub.
    However...
    Looking on sites such as TSR and StudentCrowd I’m seeing a lot of negative reviews for Greenwich, not necessarily for the exact course but for the uni itself. I won’t be living on campus so accommodation is not an issue for me
    I was wondering if anyone can shed light on the accuracy of these reviews (poor management, lack of funding, bad status etc bad SU/extracurriculars)
    And if you agree, where would you recommend? (London based)

Thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Louisejeanne_)
    Hi everyone,
    I’m looking to apply (through Extra) for Criminology at Greenwich Uni. It’s in the location I want to be in, the course modules suit me and the campus looks attractive, especially the new student hub.
    However...
    Looking on sites such as TSR and StudentCrowd I’m seeing a lot of negative reviews for Greenwich, not necessarily for the exact course but for the uni itself. I won’t be living on campus so accommodation is not an issue for me
    I was wondering if anyone can shed light on the accuracy of these reviews (poor management, lack of funding, bad status etc bad SU/extracurriculars)
    And if you agree, where would you recommend? (London based)

Thank you!
    Hello!

We have asked one of our Student Ambassadors that has studied Criminology with us to discuss their experience, and hopefully address your concerns!

Hi!

I studied my undergraduate BA Criminology at Greenwich and also did not live on accommodation so hopefully can give you an honest account of my experiences with Greenwich and the course itself.

All universities have good and bad reviews, understandably some more than others but I think your main experiences of a university is what you make out of it. The Criminology courses at Greenwich is continuously being updated with more exciting projects, course modules and exciting placement opportunities. One of the best things I have taken away from my degree is my amazing placement opportunity I had the opportunity to complete with Crimestoppers as part of my third year. Recently, the Criminology department have introduced further opportunities to work with prisoners which would definitely boost your CV and employability skills!

We do also have a Criminology Society that are constantly looking to provide opportunities to get involved in Criminology related events and meet like-minded people with the same interests as you. They aim to organise a variety of events including meet ups, trips, quizzes and lots more and also give you support if needed and a way to interact with other Criminology students from other years, or staff that can help you through your studies.

Personally, I really enjoyed my time at Greenwich, so much so that I went on to complete my MSc Criminology and Criminal Psychology degree at Greenwich too after being awarded a scholarship by the university. This limited Fast Forward scholarship is available to students who achieve a 1st class or 2.1, and provides £5,000 support which can be taken either as a discount from the normal fee or a cash bursary. So, if you are interested in doing a master’s, Greenwich provides amazing scholarships for you to comfortably do so!

I would definitely recommend you come to one of our Open Days soon, so you can have a look around the university, speak to academics, students and our other services and go on our Criminology taster sessions. Hopefully the Open Day will give you a much better idea of how both the course and the university is like before you go ahead and apply. There are still spaces available to register for our Open Day this Saturday (24th February) – so if you are available feel free to bring your friends and family and enjoy the day!

Taseen

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Greenwich
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Greenwich
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.