Turn on thread page Beta

I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years and we have a very strong relationship. We're working towards one day getting married and moving in together.

The issue is, he isn't academically strong. His grades aren't going very well and I believe that he's really smart but his grades don't show it so I'm scared he won't be able to get into the universities I want to go to. I want to apply to Oxbridge, and some other Russell Group Unis that have higher entry requirements and he's saying that he will apply to the same ones as me but I'm worried that if he applies to ones I do then he might not get in and then he'd have to do a gap year.

I want to be with him but at the same time I want to study at one of the best unis and I don't know what to do. Everytime I mention applying to different unis he panics because we already have a long distance relationship and we had university as our way of finally being together. Should I apply to ones he's more likely to get into?

ReputationRep:
    You are so young and you should absolutely no matter what settle for less just to be with him. If you are capable of getting into oxbridge/Russell group he should be supporting you all the way and be happy for you, not whining like a little baby.

You have your whole lives to be together, if you can’t make it through going to different unis them I’m sorry but it just isn’t meant to be
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Live your life for yourself not for your boyfriend. You're very young to be putting all your eggs in one basket. What if you choose an average uni just to be with him and then a few months in you two break up? Put your needs first and choose universities that you like. The UK is pretty small with hundreds of universities, I'm sure if he wants to he can find one suitable for him that isn't too far away. E.g if you like Durham, he could go for Newcastle or Northumbria. Don't settle on your education and future because of a boy.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Should I apply to ones he's more likely to get into?
    Nope, but he could try ARU or Brookes...

ReputationRep:
    Apply for ones YOU want to apply too.

Put your boyfriend out the picture when it comes to thinking about your career and future.

People who love and support you will remain in your life no matter how difficult life gets.

As for your boyfriend, suggest he be more realistic in ones if he's aiming high, as you need to look at grades and ucas points.

If you two both end up going to different universities its not the end of the world, the fact you are still together now is a testament to how strong you are as a couple for lasting in a long distance rship.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.