Turn on thread page Beta

LNAT score of 28/42, will UCL, Durham, KCL look past bad A level grades watch

ReputationRep:
    So here’s the story

I finished my A levels last year and got very disappointing results (CCC) and I’m currently resitting all three A levels.

I still was determined to work in a magic circle or top London firm and saw that it’s very hard to break in without going to a Russel group university (i’m aware that less than 10% of their intake is from non russel group UK unis).

Because russel group universities don’t like resits for law, I enrolled on a one year access to social sciences course. All offers I will be made will be based on the access course. I sent off my UCAS back in November and applied to UCL, Durham, KCL, LSE and Bristol. I’ve already been rejected from LSE and Bristol and I’m waiting on the other 3.

I currently have gotten all distinctions so far in my assignments (Most of the unis I applied to want at least 30 credits at distinction).

I received my LNAT result which was 28/42 which I realised was higher than the average admitted candidate at many of the universities I’ve applied to (even the average successful oxford candidate had an LNAT score of 29 last year although I wouldn’t dare apply oxford with my situation).

However I’m worried that universities will still reject me due to my poor a level results. Do you guys think I might still have a shot or did I close the door on my career ambitions when I messed up my A levels?

ReputationRep:
    Erm... there's bad, and there's applying to these universities with CCC achieved. Sure, your offers are gonna be based on the access course, but the CCC is still going to show up in your CV, and it won't look great. As you seem to say, I doubt that resitting A-levels is going to help much on the uni side of things, not least because the unis don't know what you're gonna get in them.

Your LNAT is around the average for UCL offer holders. The issue is that, by definition, the average UCL offerholder will have both a high LNAT and high A-level grades. So it's not like one will compensate for the other. Even if you got a 40+, do remember that LNAT measures different skills to those of academic study, which is why it's required as an additional element, not a substitute. You can't fail one and excel at the other. You need to do decently well (within reason) at both.

As for law firms... well, they're competitive, but a lot have removed their minimum A-level requirements, so there's nothing formally stopping you from applying. But what position you'll be in vs the rest of the applicants who have gone down the traditional route, I can't say. I'm hoping that J-SP will be able to give a more informed opinion on this :x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Erm... there's bad, and there's applying to these universities with CCC achieved. Sure, your offers are gonna be based on the access course, but the CCC is still going to show up in your CV, and it won't look great. As you seem to say, I doubt that resitting A-levels is going to help much on the uni side of things - they aren't the basis of your offer, the universities don't know what you're gonna get in them, and the CCC from the first attempt remains.
    To be fair, as Access is one year and you apply to unis in your first month or two, when you have little to no graded work by the time you apply, the way you demonstrate your ability is with your PS and quals/life experiences. Essentially, OP will be applying with CCC, and the prospect that several months down the line (when the Access course is completed), they might get all distinctions. Getting all distinctions is not really a demonstration of great skill; I would posit not much more difficult than getting BBB. So ... "I have CCC, might get something like BBB later on, and I get above average on the LNAT."

ReputationRep:
    It’s not impossible - it just makes the getting there more difficult.

Pretty much every applicant, even the successful ones, will have a flaw in their application. Yours will be your A-level grades, you can’t really afford for there to by any major other flaws, and may even want to avoid minor ones too.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Erm... there's bad, and there's applying to these universities with CCC achieved. Sure, your offers are gonna be based on the access course, but the CCC is still going to show up in your CV, and it won't look great. As you seem to say, I doubt that resitting A-levels is going to help much on the uni side of things, not least because the unis don't know what you're gonna get in them.

Your LNAT is around the average for UCL offer holders. The issue is that, by definition, the average UCL offerholder will have both a high LNAT and high A-level grades. So it's not like one will compensate for the other. Even if you got a 40+, do remember that LNAT measures different skills to those of academic study, which is why it's required as an additional element, not a substitute. You can't fail one and excel at the other. You need to do decently well (within reason) at both.

As for law firms... well, they're competitive, but a lot have removed their minimum A-level requirements, so there's nothing formally stopping you from applying. But what position you'll be in vs the rest of the applicants who have gone down the traditional route, I can't say. I'm hoping that J-SP will be able to give a more informed opinion on this :x
    Yeah, I’m aware of the minimum A level requirements for law firms which is why I’m resitting and aiming for AAA.

I have to resist this year because the A levels I did are getting reformed. However, it’s only a few modules I have to resit so there’s not as much pressure.

For example, in maths I got:

C1- 93

S1- 91

M1- 70

C2- 71

C3- 41

C4- 46

So as you can see I messed up C3 and C4 so I “only” need to resit those two modules. However I can only resit them either this year or next year as it’s getting reformed.

ReputationRep:
    I got ACC at A Level and 27/45 in the LNAT. I'm 12 marked credits into my Law HE Diploma and so far I've had offers from Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol and KCL.

Basically, yes, you can get in. Slightly different scenarios admittedly, I worked for myself for the past 5 years and am applying as a more mature student, but it's anything but impossible either way.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.