Turn on thread page Beta

Do people still glamourise mental health issues? watch

I notice in threads people will openly just mention they have anxiety or depression or other mental health issues. Often when it isn't even related to the OP. Like they think it somehow makes them appear unique and cool and troubled. Kind of like 'you don't understand how much more I've suffered and been through, you have it easy' yet the amount they bring it up is like they secretly love that they have a label.
    I'm not talking about people bringing awareness, I'm talking about the people who mention it all the time for no reason.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Maybe they want to show the OP, that they arent alone and that there are other ppl who through similar illnesses. Ppl dont just announce that they have anxiety or depression to enjoy the attention being given, maybe that just want some advice from other users. So plz think before what you type before you could offend other ppl on here

(Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    Maybe they want to show the OP, that they arent alone and that there are other ppl who through similar illnesses. Ppl dont just announce that they have anxiety or depression to enjoy the attention being given, maybe that just want some advice from other users. So plz think before what you type before you could offend other ppl on here
    Saw this on a thread:
    'I’ll swap if I can get rid of my mental illness? Don’t get to appreciate any of the perks anyway when you want to die all the time yikez'
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Saw this on a thread:
    'I’ll swap if I can get rid of my mental illness? Don’t get to appreciate any of the perks anyway when you want to die all the time yikez'
    But thats one person, how bout the others who suffer from illnesses? You can't just assume something from one post that somone had posted

ReputationRep:
    Saw this on a thread:
    @ me next time xoxoxoxox
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I also see my friends tweeting about it pretty often. They'll tweet about them having a sh*t time because of anxiety and then accompany it with one of those upside down smiley faces.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I also see my friends tweeting about it pretty often. They'll tweet about them having a sh*t time because of anxiety and then accompany it with one of those upside down smiley faces.
    Thats your friends tho. You dont even know all the ppl on here.

But thats one person, how bout the others who suffer from illnesses? You can't just assume something from one post that somone had posted
    I'm not saying everyone does but I've noticed it on a number of occasions with different people who claim they have mental health issues or know someone with issues and they seem to build their identity on it.

ReputationRep:
    In a few cases of depression and anxiety, there is sometimes a deep-lodged need for attention which expresses itself in this manner: it is unavoidable when people feel as lonely as they do in their situation.
    Alternatively it may just be a call for help, which is a side of the same coin.
    To criticise this need for attention is nonetheless damaging, it is better to divert their attention to lighter issues away from themselves and their ever-present concerns.

(Original post by tremen222)
    In a few cases of depression and anxiety, there is sometimes a deep-lodged need for attention which expresses itself in this manner: it is unavoidable when people feel as lonely as they do in their situation.
    Alternatively it may just be a call for help, which is a side of the same coin.
    To criticise this need for attention is nonetheless damaging, it is better to divert their attention to lighter issues away from themselves and their ever-present concerns.
    Perfect answer thank you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm not saying everyone does but I've noticed it on a number of occasions with different people who claim they have mental health issues or know someone with issues and they seem to build their identity on it.
    And there you go with the assumptions again. How do you know that they are 'claiming' to have a illness? What If you said that to someone who was deeply suffering from depression or anxiety? You could make it even worse and when they genuinely need the help

ReputationRep:
    People glamorise everything. Stop making assumptions and get on with your own life. If said people aren't genuine, they'll soon get bored.

And there you go with the assumptions again. How do you know that they are 'claiming' to have a illness? What If you said that to someone who was deeply suffering from depression or anxiety? You could make it even worse and when they genuinely need the help
    Well no they tell me that they've got mental health issues and have either been to therapy or are on medication. When I said 'claim' I didn't mean I don't believe them, I meant that they have said they have mental health issues.

ReputationRep:
    How is it glamorising mental illness to talk about it? Mental illness effects every part of my life, not just the parts where its ‘appropriate’ to talk about it.

The specific post you’re talking about, I was responding to someone saying “white girls have it easy”. Since I am a white girl who doesn’t “have it easy” I used a thing called humour to jab at the person who made that dumbass claim.

People only want to hear about mental illness when it’s convenient for them, in campaigns or therapy sessions. The reality is, most of us who have mental illness want to talk about it more since it effects us so much. Using an upside down smiley isn’t glamourising, it’s using sarcasm and humour because that makes it less scary to talk about.

We don’t do it to look “cool” or “troubled” and we don’t exist just to bring awareness to people. I’ll mention mental illness as much as I want to because it’s f*cked with my life and is currently making my life impossibly hard. There’s nothing glamorous about it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Cockfosters)
    People glamorise everything. Stop making assumptions and get on with your own life. If said people aren't genuine, they'll soon get bored.
    I'm not saying they aren't genuine, I'm wondering why they always bring it up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well no they tell me that they've got mental health issues and have either been to therapy or are on medication. When I said 'claim' I didn't mean I don't believe them, I meant that they have said they have mental health issues.
    Thought we were speaking about OP's and the users of TSR?

ReputationRep:
    Because some people overshare, and others keep it to themselves.

Thought we were speaking about OP's and the users of TSR?
    I'm talking about the general public. I used TSR as an example previously but I'm talking about society in general.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Omg are you thick or what? They bring it up bcuz for some its a cry for help. Some are gone so far deep, that they need any help that they can get,. Do you honestly think if someone who had a illness went up to a normal person and said 'I need some advice, I have depression' will get the help that they need? Hence why repeating it on a online website is the only right help that they can get

Omg are you thick or what? They bring it up bcuz for some its a cry for help. Some are gone so far deep, that they need any help that they can get,. Do you honestly think if someone who had a illness went up to a normal person and said 'I need some advice, I have depression' will get the help that they need? Hence why repeating it on a online website is the only right help that they can get
    tremen222 already gave a brilliant answer, you're just trying to repeat them. The last part of your post doesn't really make sense.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.