Turn on thread page Beta

How do you do an uphill start without the handbrake? watch

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to know if it can be done without a handbrake and if so, how... I've only ever learnt it with the use of a handbrake. That way i can prep the clutch and put on gas. But in my last test, I stopped at an uphill roundabout. I should've only been stopped for maybe two seconds as there were no cars, but because I didn't know how to set off again without handbrake, I ended up securing the handbrake and doing the whole process which took up a lot of time, at which point cars had begun coming past. Got a minor.

ReputationRep:
    You just need to get quicker and smoother at using the handbrake, this is the best approach. You can do it without if you are quick and skillful on the clutch and accelerator but there is a risk of rolling back and of stalling

ReputationRep:
    It is the same process as the handbrake but you use the footbrake instead. But you have to be very quick with it as you have to set the gas and lift the clutch just as the car starts rolling back. It is easier with the handbrake because you have room for slight error. It takes time to get to this point though so do not stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xEmilyxx)
    But you have to be very quick with it as you have to set the gas and lift the clutch just as the car starts rolling back.
    No need to be quick off the brake and on the gas, that complicates things by making people rush. You should be on the bite before the brake comes off, and the car shouldn't be rolling back at all. OP shouldn't really be worrying about this kind of thing though, it's good to know how to do, but it's a bit beyond the skills of a learner.

OP: Your other alternative is getting on the bite just before stopping, or better yet avoiding stopping completely through proper observation (roundabouts tend to have relatively good visibility compared to other junctions). Other than that, you could use the handbrake in a quicker manor by simply keeping the button pressed throughout the whole thing which saves a bit of faffing around, always let it ratchet when you actually want to secure the car though.

That being said, it's only a minor. You should always look to improve, but I wouldn't make a particularly big fuss about it. Examiners aren't looking for a perfect drive.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to do it quickly and smoothly with the handbrake on and off in a couple of seconds. You can do it on the footbrake and either press the gas at the same time by rotating your foot or quickly jump from one to the other and catch it but it's tricky to get it as smooth as handbrake use.

I woudn't worry to much you're basically saying you dealt with it safely but were a bit slow getting going again after applying the handbrake - with time you'll become smoother and more efficient. The way you chose is ultimately the best method.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If you're facing uphill and it's looking like it's going to be clear shortly, you can find the bite and gas just as your car is rolling to a stop. You'd of course use the footbrake to slow down, but just as you slow down to a creep you can come off the brake and let gravity slow you down to a stop, and in that time you can find the bite and hold the car in place until it's time to go.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.