Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Budget
    £800

Subjects being studied
    Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, Business and Computing Science.

Software that will be used
    Microsoft Word, Sony Vegas, Various Coding Software

Screen size
    15.6 inches

Operating system preference
    Windows

Minimum amount of RAM
    8GB

Minimum battery life
    8 hours

Minimum storage requirement
    1TB

Weight limit
    N/A

Used for playing games?
    Yes

If yes, what games?
    Minecraft, CS:GO, Ark, Rust

Touchscreen needed?
    No

Are there any specific ports you need?
    USB 3.0/2.0

What devices do you have currently?
    Android Phone - ZTE Blade, iPad - shared with my sister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WestDragon)
    Budget
    £500

Subjects being studied
    Maths, English, Chemistry, Physics, Business and Computing Science.

Software that will be used
    Microsoft Word, Sony Vegas, Various Coding Software

Screen size
    15.6 inches

Operating system preference
    Windows

Minimum amount of RAM
    8GB

Minimum battery life
    8 hours

Minimum storage requirement
    1TB

Weight limit
    2kg

Used for playing games?
    Yes

If yes, what games?
    Minecraft, CS:GO, Ark, Rust

Touchscreen needed?
    No

Are there any specific ports you need?
    USB 3.0/2.0

What devices do you have currently?
    Android Phone - ZTE Blade, iPad - shared with my sister.

For Operating System points, I would be willing to look into Macbooks.
    Expectations need to be reigned in a bit here. £500 is only just about enough to get you onto the bottom rung of the ladder of dedicated graphics cards that are going to choke on anything more intensive than CS:GO. The best I can find for within £500 is a GT 940MX, which can max out CS but cannot even get a stable 30fps out of Ark at its lowest settings. On top of that, when you're buying a budget laptop (which, in the context of dGPU-equipped laptops, you most definitely are), you really cannot expect a sub-2kg weight from a 15" machine. These laptops need room for cooling because they aren't going to have power efficient components or a more sophisticated cooling system that lets more expensive machines will come equipped with.

If gaming is a priority, I would up your budget to by at least £100 to reach laptops with MX150 cards or ideally £200 more to reach the GTX 1050 and drop your 2kg weight requirement. If weight is something you don't want to compromise on, you'll have to put your gaming requirements behind you to find something that can shave under 2kg (It's 1.96kg according to HP's website). If your budget is set in stone and you just want whatever gaming performance you can get for that price, you'll have to settle from something with a 940MX GPU and a few hundred extra grams over your target weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Expectations need to be reigned in a bit here. £500 is only just about enough to get you onto the bottom rung of the ladder of dedicated graphics cards that are going to choke on anything more intensive than CS:GO. The best I can find for within £500 is a GT 940MX, which can max out CS but cannot even get a stable 30fps out of Ark at its lowest settings. On top of that, when you're buying a budget laptop (which, in the context of dGPU-equipped laptops, you most definitely are), you really cannot expect a sub-2kg weight from a 15" machine. These laptops need room for cooling because they aren't going to have power efficient components or a more sophisticated cooling system that lets more expensive machines will come equipped with.

If gaming is a priority, I would up your budget to by at least £100 to reach laptops with MX150 cards or ideally £200 more to reach the GTX 1050 and drop your 2kg weight requirement. If weight is something you don't want to compromise on, you'll have to put your gaming requirements behind you to find something that can shave under 2kg (It's 1.96kg according to HP's website). If your budget is set in stone and you just want whatever gaming performance you can get for that price, you'll have to settle from something with a 940MX GPU and a few hundred extra grams over your target weight.
    Hey, I've edited my post, budget has been upgraded as I can expand on that one, weight shouldn't be too much of an issue. Thanks for the suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WestDragon)
    Hey, I've edited my post, budget has been upgraded as I can expand on that one, weight shouldn't be too much of an issue. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Go for this one then, it's great :yy:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-...K_2191608.html

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.