Turn on thread page Beta

There is no double standard for white mass murderers watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zsg)

You don't think the victims/witnesses of the school shooting/any-other-incident-where-the-perpetrator-is 'mentally ill'.....were in a situation of terror?
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Feeling terror and terrorism are different things. Terrorism is unlawful violence to promote a political agenda. As horrible as what happened was, there’s no clear political motive.

The victims felt terror, but weren’t involved in a terrorist attack.
    :laugh:

It's like talking to a brick wall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caesar333)
    There's no disrespect in having broader social conversations about it. People who've survived the attack are on twitter talking about it and going viral.

The fact that the current rhetoric is that islamist terrorists do it out of their religion and that theyre mentally sane, but every white lunatic who shoots up schools is just mentally insane is a perfect example of how society forgives white criminals more easily.

"mental illness" isnt even something we know for sure. What illness is it? We do not know. This is an adult man who's got full responsibility for what he did.

The only disrespect here is dismissing it as a "man with mental illness" and carrying on. There are plenty of people who grew up in social situations similar to him and have had mental illnesses who arent going to shoot up schools. The stigma on mental illness will only get worse because of idiots using it as a scapegoat to avoid talking about the real issues such as America's gun laws.
    Gun control is important to talk about with this attack, no way should this kid have had access to a gun. I was referring to the people talking about terrorism as it’s not relevant to this situation.

I don’t see how it’s dismissing him by saying he’s mentally ill? He’s still being held accountable. It’s not like they found out he was ill then cut him loose.

People knew this guy was mentally ill, gun obsessed and dangerous. Maybe if he got better treatment, it could have been prevented. Not everyone with mental illness is a killer, but a LOT of killers are mentally ill. This needs to be addressed and things need to improve, early intervention is essential.

I’m tired of people only being allowed to talk about light depression or anxiety. None of these time to talk things talk about psychosis, PD’s, mental illness that makes people uncomfortable. If we remain invisible, treatment will never improve and those of us who are dangerous are free to do horrible things. Mental illness isn’t an excuse, but it could be an important part in this happening. Personally i’m for no guns or very strict gun control, but it’s very likely this guy would have found another way to hurt people. There’s not one solution.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

I like to give the benefit of the doubt and try to rationally explain it, but some people just want a fight :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    The Cruz attack was not a terror attack as no motive has been established, the same could be said for the Las Vegas shooter. Shouldn’t we really be having more of a conversation on how the FBI failed to stop Cruz given his history and previous threads, instead of arguing over what to call it?

ReputationRep:
    Gun control is important to talk about with this attack, no way should this kid have had access to a gun. I was referring to the people talking about terrorism as it’s not relevant to this situation.

I don’t see how it’s dismissing him by saying he’s mentally ill? He’s still being held accountable. It’s not like they found out he was ill then cut him loose.

People knew this guy was mentally ill, gun obsessed and dangerous. Maybe if he got better treatment, it could have been prevented. Not everyone with mental illness is a killer, but a LOT of killers are mentally ill. This needs to be addressed and things need to improve, early intervention is essential.

I’m tired of people only being allowed to talk about light depression or anxiety. None of these time to talk things talk about psychosis, PD’s, mental illness that makes people uncomfortable. If we remain invisible, treatment will never improve and those of us who are dangerous are free to do horrible things. Mental illness isn’t an excuse, but it could be an important part in this happening. Personally i’m for no guns or very strict gun control, but it’s very likely this guy would have found another way to hurt people. There’s not one solution.
    Mental illness is a very big umbrella term. Being clinically depressed or something does not justify this sort of killing. The only way he could justify this is if it was schizophrenia or something that severe.

The problem is simple. White mass murderers and school shooters get a pass because of mental illness when in most cases they are level headed enough to take responsibility of their actions. This laziness that even you're doing right now is inexcusable.

The media will never give this treatment to a black or latino killer. They'd be vilified and labelled for what they are; evil murderers.

it’s very likely this guy would have found another way to hurt people. There’s not one solution.
    No. Guns are effective killing weapons because it dehumanises victims and turns them into targets. You aim, then you shoot and theyre dead. A person maybe be able to kill someone with a gun, but many would not be so inclined to go around killing with a knife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

but I hadn't replied? I understood what the commenter was saying and agreed??

ReputationRep:
    I like to give the benefit of the doubt and try to rationally explain it, but some people just want a fight :unsure:
    no, I liked how you explained! I guess I just misunderstood the OP. thanks for the clarification x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    oh please, we see the same narrative each and every time. possibly white privilege?
    White privilege is a myth.

ReputationRep:
    Mental illness is a very big umbrella term. Being clinically depressed or something does not justify this sort of killing. The only way he could justify this is if it was schizophrenia or something that severe.

The problem is simple. White mass murderers and school shooters get a pass because of mental illness when in most cases they are level headed enough to take responsibility of their actions. This laziness that even you're doing right now is inexcusable.

The media will never give this treatment to a black or latino killer. They'd be vilified and labelled for what they are; evil murderers.

No. Guns are effective killing weapons because it dehumanises victims and turns them into targets. You aim, then you shoot and theyre dead. A person maybe be able to kill someone with a gun, but many would not be so inclined to go around killing with a knife.
    He hasn’t been given a pass, they are still treating him like a murderer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Explain to me how this IS an act of terrorism, versus it being the actions of someone who is deranged
    Not also a terrorist but also a murderer. Wasn't he part of an extremist white supremacist organisation like the KKK? The kkk is a terrorist organisation too

ReputationRep:
    How is it having a pass? Mental illness doesn’t justify anything. It can explain why something happened though, and recognising that could promote people to work on a preventing this kind of crime. Mental illness is an umbrella term, there are lots of ways your brain can be faulty. Sociopaths, psychopaths, people who have lost grip on reality etc. (Schizophrenic people are rarely dangerous to anyone other than themselves and very unlikely to commit this kind of crime)

I don’t see anyone saying positive things about this guy. Is anyone not thinking he’s an ‘evil murderer’?

We’re reading the last chapter of a book first and just deciding why it happened. If we read the whole book, maybe we can figure out the whole picture and use it to prevent similar crimes, which are a huge issue as there have been 13(?) school shootings so far this year? Yes, take away their guns. The people will still have whatever is causing this rage, and that needs to be dealt with too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phillip Banks)
    White privilege is a myth.
    If you insist ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zsg)
    no, I liked how you explained! I guess I just misunderstood the OP. thanks for the clarification x
    Ah that’s a nice change! I’m glad I managed to word it right. :grin:

ReputationRep:
    there are plenty of nutbags in English schools... it's just we don't give them automatic weapons on their 18th birthday.

ReputationRep:
    How is it having a pass? Mental illness doesn’t justify anything. It can explain why something happened though, and recognising that could promote people to work on a preventing this kind of crime. Mental illness is an umbrella term, there are lots of ways your brain can be faulty. Sociopaths, psychopaths, people who have lost grip on reality etc. (Schizophrenic people are rarely dangerous to anyone other than themselves and very unlikely to commit this kind of crime)

I don’t see anyone saying positive things about this guy. Is anyone not thinking he’s an ‘evil murderer’?

We’re reading the last chapter of a book first and just deciding why it happened. If we read the whole book, maybe we can figure out the whole picture and use it to prevent similar crimes, which are a huge issue as there have been 13(?) school shootings so far this year? Yes, take away their guns. The people will still have whatever is causing this rage, and that needs to be dealt with too.

Clearly we must have missed the bit when the news said “but it’s ok as he has mental health issues”

I agree that taking away the guns won’t take away the rage, but at least it could help stop that range from becoming deadly to others.

ReputationRep:

You seem to just be regurgitating what i've said.

We don't know yet what mental illness he has and whether that will explain what he's done but you seemed to have done it already. And I can guarantee you dont give that treatment to a person of colour.

And well done for ignoring most of my argument too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew97)
    Clearly we must have missed the bit when the news said “but it’s ok as he has mental health issues”

I agree that taking away the guns won’t take away the rage, but at least it could help stop that range from becoming deadly to others.
    People seem to think that mentioning that someone has a mental illness means they just send them on an all inclusive?

Yeah I’m 100% behind gun control, it’s worked in the UK and australia and they clearly need it!

ReputationRep:
    People seem to think that mentioning that someone has a mental illness means they just send them on an all inclusive?

Yeah I’m 100% behind gun control, it’s worked in the UK and australia and they clearly need it!
    Yes exactly, furthermore Cruz is still alive. So the media can’t make accusations like teorrism until it’s been in a court of law.

ReputationRep:

Yeah sure lets compare the UK and Australia with America.

The US has around 500 million registered guns and possibly hundreds of millions more unregistered, that's pretty much double the population. The UK and Australia never had the problem of this sheer amount of guns being in circulation.

The US has two countries bordering it, the UK and Australia do not, guns could still be illegally taken over the Canadian and Mexican borders, just as they do with drugs.

Taking these into account, how do you expect someone living in the middle of nowhere in Alaska or in the Nevadan desert to protect their property and themselves when the nearest police station is an hour or more away and there's not another person in miles? There's been cases of people with no firearms who couldn't call the police in this situation and their bodies haven't been found for months on end, sometimes years.

Furthermore, the point which most people argue is outdated but was the original point of the second amendment was to enable the people to keep the government in check and protect against invasion.

There is no doubt their will be bloodshed in any attempt to take their guns, absolutely. Theoretically if they wanted to take peoples guns who don't want to they could send in the military to sort out a rioting problem, but you've gotta think - the military is made up of citizens who don't want to attack their own people, their families and friends etc...

In addition, the US government can't trace a couple illegal immigrants, or sometimes some top wanted criminals, so how do people expect them to be able to trace every single firearm in the US? Impossible.

Banning just semi autos isn't gonna help either, automatics are already banned contrary to common belief. Most mass shootings are committed with handguns, which can be made automatic using a belt which acts as a bump stock.

I think the only solution to the school shooting problem is to do what they do with banks, political buildings etc... they need armed guards in the schools, possibly giving vets jobs doing such things, or they need to train the teachers and allow them to conceal carry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamantacademic)
    Whatever the motivation there seems to be a growing cancer developing in white american teen males, and anti-Islam apologists seem to be turning these moments on Muslims for some bizarre reason. When there's a lunatic Muslim blowing some place up, the same people slate the entire Islamic community, and as it should be, no one speaks of other forms of maniacs. Let's take this time to understand this fanaticism, and pay our respects to victims and heroes. F*ck Terror!
    The use of 'psychotropic' drugs skyrocketed when both the Reps & Dems decided (for different reasons) to 'empty the asylums' some years ago. According to a friend of mine - who is a practising psychologist, these drugs have about a 20 year 'latency' period. She says that anyone who has been on these drugs can, even after stopping taking them, have a 'psychic break' and [as she puts it] "flip out", and become totally irrational. According to her, even a therapist with 20 or 25 years experience in dealing with these people, would have 'extreme difficulty' in spotting when such a break was imminent. Since you cannot force people to take drugs outside of a clinical environment [i.e. if they are roaming the streets], you have no idea if they are on their drug regimen or not. Many of them resist taking drugs because they say "they make me feel funny" - yeah, they make them feel normal!! Even if they have been 'weaned' off of the drugs, you still have the latency period to worry about. Potentially, we have tens of thousands of people who have been on these drugs walking the streets among us. They do not wear warning signs. I don't know what the solution is, but the risk appears to be genuine (at least several therapists i have met through my friend are concerned). I am not professionally qualified to comment myself. Best of luck to all of us!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.